Chimney King Pot rain cowl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Victorian terrace with 6 chimneys in 3 stacks. The chimneys on one stack were already capped (first picture) and I have just had some work done on the roof so I wanted to take the opportunity to install rain cowls on the others.

One of them has straight chimney pots so it was easy enough (second picture) but the two at the front of the house have these huge king pots and I'm struggling to find a cowl that will fit.

Can you get cowls for these types of pot or will I need to remove them?

chimney1.JPG

chimney2.JPG

chimney3.JPG

Sponsored Links
Why bother? They've been there around a hundred years? You are risking condensation in your chimney if you cap them.

The cowls do not restrict ventilation, they just prevent rain coming down the chimney and stop birds getting in. See the first 2 pictures. I thought it made sense to do it while the scaffold is up and I have access.

Nice pots!
Are the flues in use?
If not
you could easily get something fabricated just like the other two .
They would not need to be ugly.....

Sponsored Links

The other 2 I picked up for £28 each including shipping. I e-mailed them but they don't carry any big enough. The diameter of the king pots is about the same diameter as the top part of the cowls on the other chimneys!

Where would you suggest I look to get one made?

Only the living room fireplace is still open, the rest are blocked off. I don't want to cap any of the chimneys in case I want to use them in the future. I just don't want rain or birds getting in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back