Chimney opening.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new member here looking for a bit of advice. I`m looking to have a wood burning stove fit but the opening isn`t wide enough, I need to remove one brick width either side. I`ve knocked off all the plaster but not sure how to progress now. Here are some pics -

I`ve knocked out a few bricks just below the big stone lintel to get a better idea of whats behind there, but what next?
Thanks in advance,
GPick.

Sponsored Links
What opening dimensions do you need?

You can remove most of the in-fill bricks below the large (probably original) lintel but leave about 150mm support under the bearing ends.

There's masses of info & pics on what you are doing, here on the search facility.

Thanks for replying Ree, will have a search around tomorrow but there is no doubt I will need to ask questions and don`t want to hijack someone elses thread so thought it best to start my own.
The opening needs to be about 29 inch wide (currently 21 inch) so half a brick each side should give me that.
Also want to remove a couple of layers of brick to give a bit of extra height but cant see any problems with that.
It`s what to do with the inside bits that i`m not sure of.
Sorry, don`t know the correct terminology.

Until the interior of the opening is exposed you wont know whats inside - but, typically, at the back is the back wall of the flue and you just remove anything else in the opening to create a clear hearth and three clear walls. Then sweep and smoke test the flue and have the stack and its flashings and flaunching inspected.

You must have a Regs front hearth, and remove that cable from the flue - disconnect it at source if possible.

The RH side corner of the c/breast looks frail and could do with a little bricklaying.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Ree, the cable will be removed and you`re right about the right hand corner, a few bricks came loose when I knocked off the plaster. The original stone hearth is still in place under the wood flooring and I will be exposing it soon.
I`ll knock out some more bricks tomorrow and post some more pics of what`s inside.

Edit: just checked the pics, and while there is an electrical cable, you can`t see it on the pics, there are some copper pipes in the pic looking up the chimney, these will be removed also.

Here`s where I`m up to now, knocked some more bricks out to get a clearer view inside. I guess next job is knock down the side section and rebuild it a bricks width further back, does it need rebuilding all the way up to the padstone like it is now?

The two tubes are possibly the old flow and return from a back boiler. Do you have a cylinder upstairs? If not, still be cautious because they might be still wet. Remove them at the next floor if possible.

Only remove the odd corner brick that is loose or perished, and then make good, dont do any other work until this corner bricklaying is set. You could also rake out and point up the corners to strengthen them.

"knock down the side section" what do you mean? Which side section?

Note: cover the rad grill against dust and debris.

At some later stage you will have to sweep and smoke test the flue, and remove (wire brush) all soot from the fire opening.

Sorry for not being clear, I don`t know the correct terminology, I want to widen the opening and make a bit higher, concentrating at the moment on the left hand side. I think I need to remove where I`ve highlighted on this pic and rebuild it where it would give the width I need.

No cylinder upstairs, room above is bathroom and no sign of those pipes under the floor in there, they feel very loose so will see if I can pull them out.

Sort out any corner replacement bricks first. Do the highlighted area later, and be careful with the lintel supporting bricks esp. the toothed out bricks - do they require cutting for your opening width dimension?

Here`s a pic showing how I want the opening to be when finished (maybe a bit higher but the width is the important bit for the stove clearance), the bricks I`ve removed are for access only and will be put back.

That seems an awfully small opening for the typical non-inset stove.

Anyhow, if you have an angle grinder or a circular saw then chuck up a masonry blade and cut the plumb lines to about 25 - 30mm deep.The bricks can then be cleanly snapped off.

Remember that this is a rough opening and it will be diminished by whatever finished surfaces you use.

Just saying but have you consulted with a HETAS?

The opening will be 30 inch wide once it`s finished, we`ve seen the stove we want in fireplace warehouse - http://www.thefireplacewarehouse.co...on-5-defra-wood-burning-multi-fuel-stove.html - and the guy in there said it needs 29inch wide opening.
We`ve also had a builder in for a price for the work, he wanted £1,200, this also included fitting the stove but we would then need to get someone to sign off the work as he isn`t HETAS. Asked him about just doing the building work and he hasn`t got back to me and is now ignoring my calls. All other builders who i`ve asked to come and give me a quote for the work didn`t turn up. I`ve now got sick of looking at this so have decided to have a go myself, but I will be getting someone in to do the stove.

Bit of an update, been a messy couple of weeks but widening the opening went OK. Still got the pipes to remove, that`s my job for tomorrow along with finishing off the bricking. Not sure whether to render or plaster, the finish will be slimbricks so will need to look into whats best for them, also not sure what to do with the hearth yet (suggestions welcome).

Its just a shame you didn't open it up proper. You'll see some good examples on here....
http://tinyurl.com/nwcnssk

The more air flow you have around the stove the better.

Though mebbe you have now that I see the brush. :mrgreen:
Height wise anyway.
3 bricks wide looks narrow.

It`s 30inch wide now, would have liked to have made it wider, but was worried the concrete lintel wouldn`t have enough support. If i`d gone another brick wider each side the lintel would have only been resting on 4inch of brick. Would that have been enough?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back