Chimney removal in the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 1903 victorian semi-detatched house and one of the chimneys stacks has been removed and roofed over and the chimney breast's on the 2 floors below have been removed, however they have left the small section of the chimney in the loft which seems to be supported on a steel. (its not on a party wall)
I want to remove the bit in the loft, however I am a bit unsure about how to make good the cavity wall as the bit of chimney in the attic merges into the cavity at this point.
Is it just as simple as removing the bit of chimney thats left and then building a new cavity where the chimney use to be with some wall ties or is it more complicated which is why they left it there?
Thanks for any advice or knowledge on this
Jim

Sponsored Links
There's probably two possibilities here, as you've probably gathered. You can cap the exisitng cavity with something like a cavity closer, or something that does the job. Or you can build the other skin up to the same level as the exisitng skin.
Is it a gable end wall?
How wide and high is it?
Should it have restraint ties installed? Ties to the rafters that is.
If you do build the other skin, you might be able to utilise a starter kit to tie the two together.

Thanks for your reply RedHerring2
It is a gable end and the chimney is approx 0.75m wide and 1.6m high at its heighest point.
The chimney doesn't appear to be mechanically tied into the outer skin at any point, only the inner skin.
Here are some pictures:
View media item 41079 View media item 41080the scond one showing that the bricks are only butted up to the outerskin.
Is this what you mean by a starter kit for re building the inner skin?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-wall-starter-kit-stainless-steel-50-x-1200mm/56037#

Thanks
Jim

I'd brick it up. It'll take about 75 bricks.
To do a pukka job it should be finished off from above roof line. But on this occasion just finish it off at ceiling height. Perhaps try to include a cavity closer or replicate what is already there.

There might be a better way of including a few ties but I don't know of any. But, yes that's a starter kit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again RedHerring
I'm a little unsure by what you mean by "should be finished off from above roof line."
Do you mean in an ideal world, the roof above the wall should be removed and the top of the wall finishing from above?
I'm also unsure how to close the cavity as the bricks are stepped due to it being a gable end. I can't really tell if the cavity on the rest of the existing wall is closed
EDIT: just had a proper look with a torch and it looks like the cavity is open at the top of the existing wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back