Chimney removal question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just after a little advice. I'm in the very early planning stage of a loft conversion and would like to remove the remaining part of the chimney in the loft. I removed the whole chimney from the ground all the way to the loft a couple of years back and installed an steel beam in the loft. This was all done with engineers calculations and signed off by building control.
So now I want to remove the new beams and the chimney from the loft and all whats on the roof to make space for the loft conversion.

This is were it gets tricky.

The chimney is on an adjoining wall and is a shared stack on the roof. Their chimney has also been removed up to the loft and is currently on gallow brackets.
So finally my question.
If I remove my side of the chimney and leave theirs as it currently is would this be ok? I know this really is down to a structal engineer to advise on by what is the general opinion on this?

I know the best option would for them to remove theirs but this would be an added cost to me.

The chimney I would remove from my side is approximately 1000 x 300 in my roof space. The adjoining wall is a solid 9inch wall so the main weight of the chimney would bare down on this if I removed my side. Would this be acceptable?

Sponsored Links
It's going to be a tricky job to remove half of the external stack (and may well look a bit odd) - it may well be easier (and less expensive) to remove everything above the roofline (subject to your neighbours agreeing obviously!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back