Chimney Stack Removal and Remidal work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I had a neighbor remove a chimney stack with my permission, however their builders did not do a particular good job. I have had a survey conducted and this was the feedback

• The concrete interlocking tiles have not been correctly cut and installed properly, they are dislodged and not fitted to the battens beneath.
• The soil slate cover should have welted sides and tiled over instead of being laid on top.the rubber should also be siliconed.
• The leadwork has been reinstated poorly and needs to be redressed correctly.
• No render stopbead has been fitted to match the existing above the lead flashing and the rendering is again poorly carried out.
• The coping stones have huge gaps and have not been cemented back to their original positions.
• Inside the loft, the soil pipe flue used has a batten wedged inside the pipe clip.
• The existing brickwork has not been taken down level, motar debris has been left and the insulation has not been relaid, and there is a visible hole through to next doors conversion.

I just had some further questions.
Where the chimney was removed, the flue from the chimney stack has been left partially exposed in the loft. Is this going to be a problem, and should it be completely bricked up from up to the roof structure. (please see flue setting in loft picture). Just wanted some advice on this.

Please see my pic album //www.diynot.com/network/krystar/albums/
for pictures of what i mean

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You need a proper roofer to come in and strip the lot out and do it properly, and the firewall should be re-instated for obvious reasons.

I think you should attend this somewhat legally.
First give you neighbor a copy of the report and ask what is their intentions insofar as remediating it, as the responsibility is clearly theirs, and by default their builders. See what their response is in the first instance and take it forward from there...pinenot:)

P.S. unless I'm missing something :!:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replys, I am actually going to get a roofer, not let their builders touch it. I actually had someone come round to have a look yesterday as well.

They said they I shouldn't brick up the exposed bit in the loft where the chimney stack has been cut in the loft, because the chimney needs to breathe. Is that true?. Does a chimney need to "breathe" as it really is a non functioning chimney. I couldn't figure out if the guy was telling me that because they didn't want to go into the loft to brick up that section.

The main pic in the album, should give an idea how much is exposed //www.diynot.com/network/krystar/albums/

Thanks in advance for all your input

Why didn't you use an air admittance valve?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-push-fit-air-admittance-valve-grey-af110/78150

Who paid for the surveyor?

Was there a Party Wall agreement?

To be honest, I didnt know about the Air Admittance Valve, Please could you tell me whats the difference between the one that has been put on and what you have suggested.

I have paid for the survey, but the neighbour has agreed to pay for the survey and remedial work required.

There is a party wall agreement in place.

The air admittance valve is a one-way valve that lets air in from the loft to prevent air locks when the toilet is flushed but seals foul air from the drains. The one above the roof is just a simple vent.

Glad to see you have the PWA etc, you now have the law on your side.

It's also a bad idea to vent your chimney into the loft. Even though it is redundant it is possible for warm moist air to get into the loft and cause condensation and eventual rot.

It's also a bad idea to vent your chimney into the loft. Even though it is redundant it is possible for warm moist air to get into the loft and cause condensation and eventual rot.

Thanks for the advice - does that mean that the chimeny stack part in the loft should be bricked up to the roof supports?

I'd just make it level and put a slab over it if it were mine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back