Chimney Stuff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed a chimeny and the old breast, which was a dogs dinner to say the least.. consisting of a new and old fireplace. The older chimney has been bricked up, but there seems to be a second chimney that still has black soot on it, perhaps an old gas fire, there was a steel pipe as well.
I was hoping to dab and board it, do i need to do anthing with the old chimeny flue? Clean it? Block it up?
The roof is directly above and although insulated is well ventilated.

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
Even though you are intending to dot and dab, you still need to wire brush the soot and carbon stains off the brick and stone.

Then open up the bricked up flue and have the chimney swept.

Examine the condition of the roof stack and vent the bricked up flue top and bottom. Perhaps install a 6" x 3" hit and miss vent in the D&D plaster board opposite the flue opening.

The thing is, that sooty flues or surfaces could cause problems down the line, so sort them now while the work is open.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the comments. Do i need to install the vents mentioned, bearing in mind, there is no breast left at all, no chimney on the roof, and the old chimmeny is completly concealed within the old 24 inch stone wall. The wall is an internal wall, so not exposed to the elements at all.

By waterproofing do you mean tanking? Do you mean the whole exposed area? If i tank the wall, do i need to sweep it?

Thanks all.

OK, with the new information here's how i now see what you've got. I'm not certain but i think it might go like this:

You didn't originally have two fire openings and two flues. You have only had the one fire opening, and one flue, the one that's bricked up.
For instance, there's not enough projection for a chimney breast - there's no sign on the ceiling of a flue having penetrated it, or a chimney breast having been below.

Can you locate a front, or a back, hearth position?

The sooty staining that we see in the pic has leached through the 24" chimney breast wall.
Its come through because the flue has not been swept and ventilated.

Is there an accessible point in the loft, ( i presume the loft is above the ceiling in the pic) where you could shine a light down the flue in the 24" wall?

Does the 24" wall reach right up to the roof underside? Or, does it stop in the loft ?

Yeah, i did say it was a dogs dinner. Ill try and explain again is stages of construction.
There was a stone wall built in the 1880s 24inch think into which there was a fire place. There are granite blocks up the old chimney as i looked up it. This is behind the brick wall, which is new, which i bricked up to maintain the integrity of the old stone wall. So that fire place is now sealed.
There is still a 2nd flue in the picture (top right) in the old wall. I think contained a metal pipe. Perhaps they used this because the old flue was knackered?
Later on the brick breast was added, i know this because it wasnt keyed into the main stone wall, there is a gas point at the bottom of the fireplace, which is capped off.
There was a chimney that was half falling down so i have removed it completely.
So based on the old chimney now bricked up and going to the tanked, what should i do with the old flue in the top right? Im worried condenstation will cause the soot to run down onto my dabs. Ive scraped it a bit with a wire brush, but not too much, as the old lime mortar is crumbly. Hope that explains it better.
The tanking is not going to stick to the old lime mortar, but it will work at the brick level of the chimney or the stone.
Cheers,

I still dont understand the building detail, and, for what its worth, none of my questions have been answered. I only ask them so that i can get a better idea of what you've got there.

I now think that i can see the pipe you referred to. It must be totally removed all the way up to wherever, the whole length.

Dont worry about dislodging the soot encrusted mortar, scrub it all off.

Anything else that i suggest would only be repeating myself. So i wish you luck with your project.

Bit of an update, I've now bricked up the old chimney on the top right as well, lets hope it sticks to the old lime mortar! Decided to open some of the bigger cracks in the lime and repoint, hopefully it will stop the old wall falling down.
Next I will run a scratch cost over the old bricks then some SBR to stop the soot penetrating the dabs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back