choiceable CU wylex or mk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can you please tell me what the choiceable cu is. out of the two and what one has the best cable entry points

thanks

Sponsored Links
I have been very vocal about my dislike of build quality on MK Sentry equipment, so my vote has got to be for Wylex, but out of all the brands out there, I wouldn't limit it to just Wylex or MK. Hager and Eaton make some lovely boards

What number and type of circuits are putting on to the board.
There are number of board choices and manufacturers, the configuration of your circuits and your budget, may help us point you out in the right direction.
You could consider having your circuits protected by
*RCBOs only
*Dual RCD with MCBs
*Dual RCD with MCBs and RCBOs
*Single RCD with MCBS and RCBOs

If you're going all RCBO and 11/12 ways is enough I'd suggest the Eaton EAD11R. Extensive cable knockout options and plenty of room for wiring.
Not the cheapest RCBOs but you can get them at well below list if you hunt around.

View media item 63404

Sponsored Links
I've got an Eaton EAD12R and it's plenty big enough, I've got 9 spare outgoing ways.

For a dual RCD board, the EAD12H80H80D is VERY popular around here, worked on/with 3 in the past week

I wonder why you are limiting yourself to those two makes only - can only assume you are getting it from TradePoint, B and Queue, or Screwfix.

Both are good. Wylex had some issues which they have addressed, but puts people off. The MK stuff seems very flimsy, and just fitting the lid can be an absolute pain. MK do have a habit of changing their design, which can mean spares are hard to get.

The MK board is nicer to look at, if appearance comes into it.

I like the Hager stuff myself. Seems a very high quality.

I will not use either MK or Wylex.

The quality on MK nose dived when they stopped using schneider MCBs, and wylex have been awful for years. Even with the new seimens MCBs, the general build quality is dreadful.

Stick with hager, eaton or schneider and you'll be fine.

I've got an Eaton EAD12R and it's plenty big enough, I've got 9 spare outgoing ways.
I assume you've got a one bedroom flat?

Nope 3 bed semi, all RCBO's, so from left to right

Main Switch
Main Switch
Upstairs Ring
Downstairs Ring
Kitchen Ring
Cooker
Imm Heater
Boiler
U/S Lighting
D/S Lighting

Which makes 8, not 9 so have 4 spare outgoing ways

I personally don't like Wylex boards, however the new 3ph ones I think are ok. For single phase domestic I use MK, which I know the build quality has dropped, and they are not brilliant, but I do think they are quite generous on room inside and look smart on the outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back