Choosing and Fitting Electric Towel Rail (Dual Fuel)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

We are going to get our Bathroom done but the plumber can't do it until after Christmas :)

In the mean time I want to fit an electric Towel Radiator that can later be converted to dual fuel by the plumber, probably .

Questions:
1. Can I install an electric Towel Rail now for conversion later?
2. What should I will it with so that can be converted later (Water and Inhibitor) I guess it will be emptied anyway and refilled?
3. What power supply does it need (there is an electric wall fan heater that we don't use and I was going to use the supply from this for the radiator).
4. Can I fit a timer to it so that it comes on in the morning and evening?

Can anyone recommend the radiator and parts I need?
My local suppliers are Screwfix, Homebase, City Plumbing, Plumb Base and B&Q.

Sponsored Links
1) Yes
2) Yes (water and a inhibitor), even though it will be drained down later, you do not want risk corrosion within the radiator.
3) This would depend on the output of the element, they generally range between 100-1000 watts. So the wall fan heater should be plenty but may need fusing down. Also as the radiator is to be located in the bathroom, RCD protection will be required.
4) That should be no problem
5) The style of radiator would be personal choice, as would be the required output of the heating element.
Items required, would be towel radiator, heating element, a blanking plug, inhibitor, PTFE.
For the dual conversion, you will need two radiator valves, depending on your pipework, they could be either angled or straight but as the element will need to be fitted vertically, angled valves would be the most likely and a T-Piece for dual fuel.

Last edited:
1) Yes
2) Yes (water and a inhibitor), even though it will be drained down later, you do not want risk corrosion within the radiator.
3) This would depend on the output of the element, they generally range between 100-1000 watts. So the wall fan heater should be plenty but may need fusing down. Also as the radiator is to be located in the bathroom, RCD protection will be required.
4) That should be no problem
5) The style of radiator would be personal choice, as would be the required output of the heating element.
Items required, would be towel radiator, heating element, a blanking plug, inhibitor, PTFE.
For the dual conversion, you will need two radiator valves, depending on your pipework, they could be either angled or straight but as the element will need to be fitted vertically, angled valves would be the most likely and a T-Piece for dual fuel.

Thanks for the response, I went ahead and bought a Screwfix Flomasta and a 250 Watt Element but the element appears to be faulty see the next post.

I bought a Curved Flomasta Towel Radiator from Screwfix (1100 x 600) and a this 250 Watt Element.

The mains supply, which is about 6mm2 Twin and Earth, goes into a Fused Digital Timer Switch and then 2.5mm2 Twin and Earth into a Flexible Connector Outlet which the Radiator Element is wired into.

I have filled the radiator, turned on the power and set the timer unit to on, however the radiator does not warm up!!!

I have checked the voltage at into and out of the Timer unit 240v and into and out of the FCU also 240v, so my guess is that the element is faulty??

I was not to happy with this element anyway as it cannot be done up with a spanner and the outer plastic where the flex joins the element is loose.

Is this common with these and where can I get a better one?

Sponsored Links
I can't give a personal recommendation but the reviews of the Screwfix one are not flattering.

There is a 300W element on Amazon which gets better reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heated-Radi...p/B004AVHOZY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

It is 39cm long while the Screwfix one was around 30cm.

I took the element out and wired it up to a 3 Pin Plug and plugged it in, it got hot but I was still able to hold it in my hand?? Anyway I got a refund from Screwfix and was on my way to Wickes to buy a Kudox one but drove past City Plumbing and got a (what looked like a) much better build quality one with a 27mm Nut Fitting, 400 Watt for a couple of quid more that the 250 from Screwfix.

Fitted it and it worked perfectly.

We are now going to do some tests to work out the power consumption / cost and then set the timer.

Should be around 6p per hour, assuming it doesn't contain a regulating thermostat and will run flat out whenever it's switched on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back