Chrome pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What’s the best way to strip the chrome off plated copper pipe? As scraping it seems to leave the pipe surface rough.
I'm concerned about the quality of the seal I will get on it.

Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
I dont think the sealing is a problem if you're using copper olives in a compression fitting or a rubber 'O' ring in a push type fitting.
The problem as I understand it, is that the plating is a 'hard chrome' and not ideal for the steel claws that have to dig into it to prevent the pipe being removed from a push fitting. If you intend to remove the chrome then you only need to move it from the area where the claws are and the surface finish will not matter. You will need to know how far along the pipe the 'O' ring sits, so you can leave that area untouched.
I've never had to remove chrome, but it is quite thin and I would think hemry paper would be suitable, but if the 'O' ring area is removed you would need to finish it with a fine grade or wire wool (which is also graded)
I have some chromed pipe so I might give it a try tomorrow.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i just read on the triton site...showers..
that chrome should be stripped so the olive can seat on soft copper..although they call it a collet...is that the same..
colletts to me are split sleeves which hold an item mechanically...as in valve stem collets.
as for stripping it off...i think you need to use a method which will not score or degrade the copper surface underneath.
very light emery or steel wool would be my first attempt
or a fine file...
triton suggest taking off the stainless for 25mm back from the pipe end.
:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back