Circuit Breaker (MCB) Keeps Tripping HELP!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be grateful if anyone could tell me why the 5a MCB on the upstairs light circuit keeps tripping out?
I have Wylex fuse box fitted if that is any help

It started tripping intermittently about 3 months ago every couple of weeks at first then every few days then hours now Its every few minutes!

It only trips out the upstairs light circuit nothing else

I've tried changing the MCB fuse over with another in the fuse box of the same type but to no avail..

I tried turning all the lights out but the fuse still trips out when I reset the switch !!

The only thing I have done is put a halogen light fitting in the bathroom its the type with 3 spot lights with 40watt bulbs and I also fitted a dimmer switch to the same light but it was tripping out before this but not as much

There is another feed going to the same MCB that the light circuit is on which runs a hot water pump for a shower which was fitted about 2 months ago
But I disconnected this and just left the light feed connected but the MCB still tripped ?

Any help to point me in the right direction would be appreciated

[/b]

Sponsored Links
sounds like you have put a non waterproof light in your bathroom and it is full of water

Try disconning EVERYTHING you have changed (dimmer, shower pump, light fittings etc) just leaving the wiring as it was before you started making changes and see if that solves the tripping - if it does, you know it's something you've done - then go back and double check everything to see where you've gone wrong.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for advise all :)

I did make sure the light fitting was suitable for bathroom when I bought it

Having said that there's no extractor fan in the bathroom so it does get really damp in there

But I cant I understand why it started tripping every few weeks to every few minutes ? its as if the fault has built up / got worse ?

Im just guessing here as im no expert but if there is a fault should it not trip out straight away ??

If I disconnect everything i.e leave wires unconnected from the light fitting etc and tape them up for testing purposes would this cause the breaker to trip?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back