Clean new skim before painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we had a wall skimmed about 2/3 weeks and plan to paint it soon. Is it necessary to sugar soap it before painting? Phil

Sponsored Links
Sorry about the duplicate post, i only realised it when i checked it earlier. No idea why it did it. Thanks for your replies. Phil

Sponsored Links
I have found that Dulux plaster seal is an excellent product for new plastered walls. Goes on light blue but dries clear (its withcraft I tell you!), but seal the wall before painting. Seems to need less wash coats before getting a good finish rather than the first few soaking into the plaster.

but seal the wall before painting.
Erm, seal the wall with what exactly; do you mean with Plaster Seal or something else?
Seems to need less wash coats before getting a good finish rather than the first few soaking into the plaster.
Erm, if you use a plaster sealer you don’t really need wash coats but you need one or the other soaking into the pores in the plaster surface, it’s what key's the paint to the plaster & makes it stick! If the paint doesn’t key to the plaster, it will eventually bubble & even fall of at the slightest excuse; & if you (or some other poor soul) ever stick wall paper over it, the paint will come of in sheets on the back of the paper the first time you strip it!

Wow, nice replies.....

Yes I meant seal with the plaster sealer and yes this seals the wall for the painted coats. When I said less wash coats maybe I used the wrong terminology not having got a degree in painting and decorating, but I meant, and I thought it was pretty clear from my reply, that you'd need less coats of paint and so saves time between painting them.

No-one mentioned wallpaper...... :rolleyes:

Yes I meant seal with the plaster sealer and yes this seals the wall for the painted coats.
Now that’s clear & is why I asked.
When I said less wash coats maybe I used the wrong terminology not having got a degree in painting and decorating,
Neither do I & in fact I’m not even a pro dec; but I am a plasterer & know how important it is to get the priming coats right!
but I meant, and I thought it was pretty clear from my reply, that you'd need less coats of paint and so saves time between painting them.
Well it’s clear now & I’d wouldn’t disagree with you.
No-one mentioned wallpaper...... :rolleyes:
I did; because if new plaster isn’t correctly primed the paint won’t stick but this may not be apparent until wallpaper subsequently applied is stripped off, taking the paint with it!

As I’d already posted; this is a duplicate post which the OP had already acknowledged & there is detailed info on the other thread. I was concerned that your post wasn’t clear & the OP may get it wrong & merely asking you to clarify. No need to tetchy fella, the rollies aint necessary ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back