Cleaning and keying with scotchbrite?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can i ask the professionals how you clean the dust off, after keying old paint with sandpaper? (to be re-painted).

I hav keyed my entire house, but don;t want the dust getting in my new paintwork, so I thought the best solution would be a dry wipe with scotchbrite.

I thought to avoid water as it could make the dust stick to the woodwork.

Can I ask what the professionals use, and if there are any "super" techniques I should know about?

Sponsored Links
I thought to avoid water as it could make the dust stick to the woodwork.
Do you not just wipe it until the dust has gone?
Not a professional, totally DIYer, but use a hoover with a soft brush and then a final wipe with a damp cloth. No problems ever :)

Hmm, yeah, it sounds simple, but I thought the scotch brite may have lifted the dust better.

I was just asking for what-ever gave the better results.

I believe what you are after are called 'Tack cloths'.

I normally wipe the surfaces with a soft dry cloth, then hoover. That said, I use a vac attached to an orbital sander, so there's rarely much dust.

Sponsored Links
Vacuum cleaner on arch's doors etc and a soft broom on walls and ceilings. Dusting brushes are also effective.

Yep, Tak Rags or Tack Cloths - search on ebay for them reasonably cheap. They are just cloths impregnated with a glue that grabs and holds all the dust. I also use a hoover connected to the sander to catch most of it as I go, and a dust buster for dust from drilling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back