Cleaning and sealing slate roof, is this recommended?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Half of our house has old slating with various defects that have been made good over time. I am told that this part doesn't have felt under the slates. The guy that said this was making a pitch for a process that would clean off the moss and lichen, then apply a sealant to make the slates non-wetting so that the water runs off quicker. I'm suspicious. Is this a reputable process, or a bodge? It's not something I've heard of before, not that I'm a slater by any means.

Thanks, Tony S

Sponsored Links
nooooo not another roof paint/sealant company pitching their evil product, it's bad enough on tiles but slate, that's the work of Lucifer. Only he and his disciples would ruin a beautiful slate roof.

Put a cross on your front door and a copy of the Lord's Prayer and stop evil from darkening your doorstep.

If this doesn't work tell him to eff off.

Thanks, I thought as much. The only slight hesitation was that the recommendation came from a slater (or supposed to be a slater) so theoretically he could or should have been hoping to get the reslating work when we do it properly. They won't be back.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I thought as much. The only slight hesitation was that the recommendation came from a slater (or supposed to be a slater) so theoretically he could or should have been hoping to get the reslating work when we do it properly. They won't be back.

A possessed slater, heathen.

By the way, does the same apply to cleaning off lichen etc? Is there any benefit in doing that?

I am of the opinion that a roof should be left alone unless essential repairs/maintenance are needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back