Cleaning Block Paving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We just had some building work done and have noticed that one of the builder's vans has leaked a large patch of oil onto our new block paving.

Please can anyone suggest how this oil can be cleaned up. I have tried household cleaners but they do not seem to work.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Halfords and similar shops sell Oil Patch Driveway cleaner. You have to scrub it in and hose it lightly off. Do not try to use a waterjet or powerwasher as it will wash away the sand between the blocks and they will be loose as old teeth. You may need several applications, especially if the oil was old and black and has had time to soak in.
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/engine-cleaner-degreaser/gunk-driveway-clear-1l

The stuff you want is a strong detergent that can be mixed with water. Some engine degreasers will be marked "apply to dry engine" and do not mix with water, like the old-fashioned version of Gunk in spray cans, they're not what you want. Gunk also make a patch remover for drives, in a red plastic bottle.

I used swarfega hand cleaner (with great success) on a large oil stain on a driveway where I had spilled a pan of oil. I applied it dry, rubbed in with a scrubbing brush, and rinsed off with a hose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back