Cleaning Bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe a silly question, but how do I clean the bricks on my property my neighbours have the same bricks and they were all built at the same time but there bricks are much cleaner are than mine?

Sponsored Links
mad - it depends on what's making yours look 'dirty'. If it's soil splash caused by rain bouncing up off earth or dirty path then maybe a good scrub with a yard broom & water. Loads of dirt and green algae then a pressure washer (go easy with these on walls 'cos you can damage/dislodge the motar if you're heavy-handed). Cement/lime staining then use a brick cleaning solution (sometimes called mortar cleaner) - it's acid so read the instructions but never-the-less brilliant stuff.

another way is to use a similar brick and rub it over the affected areas.

House walls are not really intended to be cleaned like the windows

If you use a pressure washer or stiff broom or any abrasive action, then you risk removing the weathering face of the mortar which is a bad thing.

If you use too much water, then you risk efflorescence, or other staining

Exactly what is it that is making them dirty - mud, soot, algae etc?

If its just weathered, then live with it ... as thats what it is supposed to be like. Otherwise look for a plastic house ;)

Sponsored Links
House walls are not really intended to be cleaned like the windows

If its just weathered, then live with it ... as thats what it is supposed to be like. Otherwise look for a plastic house ;)

wisdom should prevail.:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back