Cleaning Copper Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have some copper pipes on show and they have some cement and paint on them. It's gone on in the last 2 weeks. Any suggestions on how I can clean this up?

Sponsored Links
Chip off the big lumps with a chisel.

Your local supermarket sells 'Brillo pads'. Rub the pipe gently with the 'Brillo pad' and a little water until it's clean, then wipe over with a clean paper towel dampened with 'Brasso' and finish with a clear lacquer.

I like the green nylon scouring pads, used wet with water. You keep rinsing them in a bucket to remove gritty particles.

Sponsored Links
Get the person who deposited that stuff on them back to clean them. It is difficult to get that nice finish after they have been covered in cement.

Wire brush then patination oil.
1464511627899-759508079.jpg

That's how this is /will be done... All be it the wire brush was attached to a drill.

BTW I use Bakobrite/paste polishing No.5 to get the worst of the dirt/paint/scratches out, then finish with Brasso and a soft cloth. I use the kettle above daily and it's a nightmare to keep it looking like that.

I have some copper pipes on show and they have some cement and paint on them. It's gone on in the last 2 weeks. Any suggestions on how I can clean this up?

What kind of finish do you want? Just cleaned up or polished and kept that way?
Big blobs of cement would need physical removal, screwdriver/small hammer to gently tap that off, the rest with wire brush attachment. Paint can be removed with solvents/sandpaper etc depending on how thick it is.
Polishing, then I'd use wire brush attachment as Dan, then change for a cotton buff pad, rubbing compound and wipe clean, then T Cut to polish. Brasso/T cut in the future to keep it that way.

:LOL: it was a bog roll holder for the honourable outlaws..... They were looking at posh ones for £300, I was taking the pish ;)

I know what it is! I was taking the pish too :D

I actually quite like it - you could sell them quite easily - had to make a kitchen mixer tap out of copper and brass for a very rich Jewish lady last year - she paid me handsomely for it - would post a picture but that phone went into a CWS tank! :cautious:

Brick acid with a small paint brush to get the worst of the cement gone (USE GOGGLES!!), then wash down with plenty of water. Then a strip of fine emery cloth to get the right finish, perhaps finish off with some Autosol (good stuff)

Nozzle

Thanks for all the advice. As it happens, I have some patination oil and will give this a go tomorrow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back