Cleaning London stock bricks - nothing seems to work!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are currently redecorating and are trying to give the side of the house a bit of a clean up.

Brick acid has lightened the mortar a bit, but has made no difference to the bricks. After research, I also tried bleach (no change) and foaming oven cleaner (no change).

I've attached a photo of the bricks - does anyone have experience of a better way to clean these?

Alex

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I am worried about pressure washing in case I damage the face of the brick - but did try a test on one brick - absolutely no difference, even at close range!

Other houses in the terrace have been cleaned, so I know there must be something out there!

Thanks for the reply...

Alex

Sponsored Links
I dont know if it would work on your brick but, the masons clean the discoloured stone via a pipe fitted at the top of the wall with loads of small holes in ( similar to irrigation pipe ) this is connected to a hose pipe, they leave it trickling down the stone front all day and scrub with a stiff brush.

Some of them use lengths of copper pipe with holes drilled in, and attatch to the gutter.

You could try a small area first.

Looks like you're trying to wash off 100 years of pollution there. Thing is this is absorbed into a 'stock' brick. To clean them up, with anything too dramatic or abrasive, is to actually erode the face of the brick.

I would advise you to seal the brickwork (thomson) after you have done this. If indeed you find a way to clean it up.

I worked on some older houses in New Cross. Grand looking houses built out of old stocks. My memory is vague (i was a young apprentice then). We were converting them so that the outside toilet (yeah...pffff) was incorperated into the house. The face brickwork was sand blasted i think. This took the face off and left the stock bricks looking like sponges.
I don't know if they still do this though.

Just a thought...what about the chemicals that the graffiti removers use...I seen a ad a couple of years ago saying they will remove all types of stuff.....maybe worth giving a company a call ....I could be barking up the wrong tree here but its just a thought

alex - it has to be wet blasted ... this is a low pressure method that'll not damage the brick face. Google for your local guys.

I would suggest you use Sodium Hyperchlorite..You can get it from 'farmers supplies places. IT is used for cleaning and disinfecting :ie- milk parlours etc.
Costs about £20 for 5 Gallons.

It is the best patio cleaner available--much better than power washing .
Just wet the area you want to clean - pour on the SH and brush in- (not much effort required) go have a brew for 10/15 mins- and then hose it off.
You can dilute it half and half--and it will do the job you want.
Will remove layers of built up grime in 20 minutes.

Try it.

ps- only thing it really wont touch is carbon/soot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back