1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Cleaning up Bricks After Pointing

Discussion in 'Building' started by saffer, 14 Sep 2005.

This topic originated from the How to page called Pointing.

1. saffer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have just finished re pointing my chimney, most of it looks fine, however there are a few areas were I got a little pointing mix on the bricks. Is there a way of getting this off? I thought of buffing it off with a wire brush but that would clean the old bricks too and I would end up having to do the entire chimney. Someone has mentioned an acid wash? Is there such a thing?

2. oilman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's available at builders merchants, sold as brick cleaner. It's hydrochloric acid.

3. saffer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  4. Thermo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    another way of doing it is to rub the face with a harder brick than the ones you have used

5. Diyisfun

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The chances are you are to close to the job & know & can see the poor part.. When you look in a few weeks time, you will wonder why you wanted to clean it, although I can understand why you want it corrected.

6. saffer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for all your help the acid worked very well, everything looks great, even the long haired management (my wife) was impressed with the finnish.

7. Johnboy54

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've heard they're not bad at skiing either. ;)

8. joelincs

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    there are chemicals obtainable from builders merchants for this, one is 'disclean' . read instructions and followcarefully as this is a mild acid. never use a wire brush. unless the staining is really bad or in a sheltered position the weather and frost will clean the wall in time.

9. weemantam

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have the same problem but, in my case, I'm using a black mortar dye on a red brick wall. There is a signficiant amount of smearing (mostly because this is my first wall and I'm rubbish at pointing). The wall looks fantastic :D - though I'm only on course 5 of 12 but I'm properley worried about how much of this smearing is going to remain prevalent once the job is finished. :confused:

I noticed someone posted Disclean which is currently retailing about £21 incl delivery. Will it be effective in ridding the dyed mortar smears?

Ta

10. WabbitPoo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    lol