Cleaning UPVC Windows Frame - any way to sand them down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have double glazing with UPVC frame. I do gave a solvent based cleaner which I bought from a double glazing outfit. It is this strong solvent based stuff. It works okay. It seems to work, so so. It cleans stuff off, but I don't get the white shininess of double glazing.

Is there any way of grinding a thing layers of say with something like a Drimmel?

I want to get that new shiny look.

I also tried this stuff on those has gas / eelectricity boxes outside houses. It appears they are dirt magnets. It did not work too well there....

Thx.

Sponsored Links
Try upvc cleaner which will involve patience and elbow grease. You could try a buffing pad I suppose. Beyond that, in my experience avoid anything abrasive

Solvent is best for oil and grease marks and should be one of the final cleaning stages, It also should be washed off after use as it will eat into the pvc finish.

If you windows are really mucky its going to take some elbow grease.
1. Start with warm soapy water and one of those sink sponges with 2 sides, Give it a good scrub then rinse/wipe dry.
2. Then pvc cream cleaner or T-cut for the heavy stains.
3. Then solvent cleaner.
4. Then polish it all up with some glass cleaner.
5. If you want it to stay clean and hopefully not go through all those steps again I would then recommend a final wash with "Car wash and wax" as it will leave a wax layer that will protect and make cleaning easier next time.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your suggestions.

I tried Double Glazing Cream cleaner from Screwfix and it works very well. Much better then just the Solvent Cleaner, which I have mixed feelings about (in that one I think you need two cloths). One to apply solvent and another cloth two wipe away the dirt...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back