Clicking noise from vauxhall corsa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My wifes corsa is making a clicking noise when we turn the steering to the right, and now also when we turn left. This started after we had some work done to pass the MOT. At the time the mechanics said the steering was loose, and some joint was worn so had to be changed.

Since then this noise has been happening and its gradually getting louder. Its been about 3 months since we had this done.

Ive read it may be the CV joint. How serious is this and would the garage be liable to repair it due to faulty workmanship on their part?

Sponsored Links
If you are turning a tight right hand corner and the clicking is coming from that side wheel area, it is indeed the CV joint that is suspect.
These don't last forever, and I doubt that the garage should be liable unless the rubber boot that covers the joint was damaged by them.
There are other steering joints that wear too - the track rod ends being the most common, and easily replaced.
John :)

If you are turning a tight right hand corner and the clicking is coming from that side wheel area, it is indeed the CV joint that is suspect.
These don't last forever, and I doubt that the garage should be liable unless the rubber boot that covers the joint was damaged by them.
There are other steering joints that wear too - the track rod ends being the most common, and easily replaced.

Thanks for the reply Burnerman.

If its the CV joint, would this be a big job? Would it be the case of just changing the rubber boot and refilling with grease or would the whole axel need to be changed?

I'm afraid its the ball bearings and grooves within the CV joint that wear together, and replacing the grease alone has no effect. If the rubber boot fails, then joint wear is hugely speeded up, and its an MOT fail too.
Usually the cheapest and therefore quickest way is to replace the driveshaft complete with an exchange one, but on most cars the CV is available separately.
The gearbox oil is usually lost at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Ive typed in Driveshaft in eurocar parts for a 2003, 1.7 diesel corsa.

I'm getting 4 different types, with widely varying price ranges. Is there any way of knowing which one it may be that needs to be changed?

This is what eurocarparts site is showing:

GKN Lobro Driveshaft (Front Left) Part No.: 654720450
GKN Lobro Driveshaft (Front Left) £179.94

GKN Lobro Driveshaft (Front Right) Part No.: 654723090
GKN Lobro Driveshaft (Front Right) £137.94

Q-Drive Driveshaft (Front Left) Part No.: 654720451
Q-Drive Driveshaft (Front Left) List Price £68.15
Our Price £63.60

Q-Drive Driveshaft (Front Right) Part No.: 654723091
Q-Drive Driveshaft (Front Right) List Price £93.53
Our Price £57.54
Vauxhall Corsa 1.7 (2003)

Consider a local motor factor, go there with the car registration and you'll get a much more accurate quote.
Bear in mind, these are exchange parts....friendly motor factors will let you drop yours back in at a later date. My own factors get any possible alternatives in for me, so when I arrive with the old shaft in hand, its an easy replacement.
I don't take much notice of the ECP prices on the web - much too vague about which one it actually is!

CV joints on these are made out of plastic rather than rubber. The clips are 'first generation' and therefore can snap off more readily and one water and grit get in there's very little chance of getting it out.

Is the noise happening when the steering wheel is turned & the vehicle is stationary?? Thats how the OP`s post reads, if thats the case it sounds like the EPS motor on the column is worn.

If it was CV then noise would happen as the steering was turned & the vehicle moved.

Sponsored Links
Back