Country
United Kingdom
This is for my Clio

Make : Renault
Model : Clio
Engine size/Type : 1.4 16v
Year : 99/2000 (X)
Mileage : 95k

I have a mk2 clio (x reg) its done 95k miles and has just started having a problem starting.

She turns over fine, battery is pretty strong. Initially i thought either no spark or no fuel.. turned out to be no fuel.

Having checked the relays and fuses which all looked OK i then randomly unplugged and re-plugged the fuel pump wiring under the rear seat.

She then started fine and was OK until the following morning when it happened again. doing the same procedure again got her running but its happening every time I start her. I dread stalling in traffic and having to quickly jump in the back to fiddle with the wires! :)

I have sprayed the connector parts (male and female) with isopropyl alcohol and allowed it to dry before refitting. Which seemed to help a bit but not a lasting fix.

Anything else I can do?

Sponsored Links
If you are sure that the fault lies there (and it does seem like it) I'd consider doing away with the block connector and soldering the wire ends together - covering each wire with some shrink wrap insulation.
You don't think there's any possibility of the movement jerking the wires into the tank unit, do you?
John :)

Hi thanks for the reply.
The connector has a male connector on the wire / loom and a female on the top of the tank. Unfortunately its recessed enough that I think soldering would be tricky.. and i can solder OK.

Can I perhaps eliminate the pump by supplying it with 12 volts (into the tricky female part of the connector)?
Although once started it runs fine. so i cant see why it would be the pump?

There's a fair chance that the connection within the fuel pump / sender assembly is faulty, and waggling the connector gives the impression of a fault at the push in connector.
Temporary electrical faults can disguise themselves from time to time due to the 'latching effect'......with the power flowing, a faulty contact latches but then fails again when the power switches off.
I'm only guessing here but I would have thought you could hear the pump when it is working.

Sponsored Links
Hi. Yes i can hear it prime and can hear it pumping whenit's running. But obviously can't hear any pumping while it's cranking.

So how can I find the cause and or resolution?

Cheers.

Only by replacement I guess but they aren't cheap at well over £100......unless you fancy fitting one from a breakers yard.
The pump / sender unit is a pretty complex unit and it's unlikely to have a visible fault when removed from the tank I'm afraid.
If the car was mine, I'd switch the ignition on and then climb into the back, hoping to hear the pump start after the wire wiggle. If it did start to pump, that would be enough for me to think about a replacement.

I guess I'll have to turn the key to crank it and wiggle at the same time.

If I can't find a cheap solution I may just scrap it and find the money for a new car. Oh how sad I'll be to finally have a new car. The shame ;^)

If they are a standard size connector on the pump you could make up a new short lead and then have a bit more room to re make the connections in the male part or solder as suggested.

I'll have a look as yes I could use small spade connectors or something like that. Thanks for the tip.

Sponsored Links
Back