Clipping a plastic gutter joint to the downpipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Rainwater was leaking from the gutter so I removed the joint, cleaned it out, checked the seal then went to reassemble it. Is there a knack to clipping it back together? I just cannot get the last clip in. This pic I found online is exactly the gutter style I have.

I should say that I THINK the clip in question was undone to start with (wish I'd taken a closer look before I took it off). Maybe the builder had the same problem 22 years ago...

Any tips gratefully accepted.
joint.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back of the gutter in first then use the "tab" at the front to spread the clip, some can be right b******s to get in.
If you have any silicone spray lubricate it with that if not a smear of fairy liquid (other brands of liquids are available;)) should help, avoid things like Vaseline or oils as they may affect the seal.
Fingers in the gutter and thumbs against the clip usually works, please do not fall of the ladder if you need two hands! I don't want to hear you are in flat out in bed and wanting to know how to fix the telly to the ceiling in another post!:):)

If you are still struggling after that advice then you can take out the rubber seal and cut half inch of it and try again.

Sponsored Links
Cheers folks, I'll see how I get on with that advice. Luckily, footprints, I only need to stand a few feet off the ground...

Check there's no crap under/over the rubber strip that's making the guttering stand too proud.

There isn't any more as I gave it a right good clean...

The fairy liquid was a good idea but, unfortunately, job not yet done. Whichever clip I force in, the opposite one pops out. But I don't think it could ever work – the open end of the short bit of gutter is clearly too big to fit. Perhaps it became warped, expanded or was badly cut from day one?

I've left it with the rear clip unfitted and will await the next downpour. Hopefully, the cleaning out of the gunge will have had some benefit. Otherwise, maybe I could try shaving a bit of the gutter off. Or buy a new endsection.

Thanks again to you all.

Use a small hack saw and shave a bit of if you think you must, I have come across this plenty of times in the past although should not be needed if the components are compatible,
If you shave to much off it will leak.

Last edited:
Are you sure the gutter is being pushed behind the rear clip properly.
Kind of roll the gutter into the back first, making sure its seated behind the clip.

I've found the problem! I took a close look at the rubber seal and it was obvious (from looking down the barrel of it, if you see what I mean) that it had 'given'. The result was that it wasn't sitting as flush in the groove as it should be. The other end wasn't too bad so I cut a couple of inches off and pushed the remainder firmly in. The gutter is now reassembled although the final 'click' wasn't as satisfying as the others. But it's in and I await the next downpour...

If it still leaks, I take it these seals can be purchased singly (or at least in small packs)?

Thanks again to you all.

All these seals give on PVC gutting, and don't deform back. For the money I'd be inclined to replace the whole outlet if you are disturbing it.

All these seals give on PVC gutting, and don't deform back. For the money I'd be inclined to replace the whole outlet if you are disturbing it.

No point in doing that(unless you can locate the same make)as the new outlet won't fit exactly/properly so you'd still end up with seal problems.

He may as well remove the rubbers and seal the joints.

Yesterday was a terrific day - lots of rain. And the gutter still wasn't right although water was merely dripping out as opposed to gushing. On closer examination of the downpipe (which had water rolling down the outside of it) it turns out I had two issues - not only the blown seal but the downpipe was blocked too.

I wouldn't have thought that possible but there you go. The downpipe was hard against the plastic cover on the ground. I took the cover out and 'whoosh..' (technical term there). Can only have been an accumulation of moss sods from the roof, no?

Another downpour eagerly awaited for the acid test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back