Closest exo planet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Scientists think they've found an Earth sized planet in the habitable zone (where liquid water, and hopefully life, can exist) around the nearest star to the Sun. Proxima Centauri, only four light years away, if we sent a rocket there now it would only take about ten thousand years or so to get there. what are we waiting for? :LOL:
The really mind boggling thing about this article is that they reckon they can measure the Doppler shift accurately enough to detect a movement towards or away from us as small as five kph, walking pace. That is almost as amazing as the planet I reckon.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160824130453.htm

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Fantastic news another planet to get excited about fuking up eventually

It's only relatively recently that scientists have been able to detect planets around other stars by the slightest wobble of the star caused by the planet pulling on it as it orbits.
And even then the planets they were finding were mostly Jupiter sized gas giants, usually very close in to their star.
Finding a rocky earth sized planet in the habitable zone of a star has been as rare as hen's teeth, now they've found one orbiting the star just down the road. Fooking amazing.

It is obviously the detection equipment improving that allows these things to be found.

If all stars formed the same way there is every likelihood that all solar systems are relatively similar.

It is obviously the detection equipment improving that allows these things to be found.
Exactly so, I've read stuff some time ago which suggested that it will someday be possible to build a telescope powerful enough to actually see planets around nearby stars.
If all stars formed the same way there is every likelihood that all solar systems are relatively similar.

Yeah, it makes you realise how likely it is that there is other life out there, I've never doubted it personally. But to find a rocky planet round our nearest star bodes very well for the amount of earth like planets there must be in our galaxy alone.

If my understanding of the expanding universe is correct. Planets and suns, like the one mentioned are moving away from the center of the universe (wherever that is or was) at the speed of light.
I'm also led to believe that we can consider the center of the universe at whichever point we find ourselves.
So, according to those theories, this star/sun and planet are moving away from us at the speed of light.
Therefore, even if we could travel at the speed of light, we could only hope to 'manage/stabilise' the distance between us and this planet, and it will always be trillions of miles away. That would also hold true for anyone who was on that planet.
Until we can travel faster than the speed of light, or until the expanding universe slows down (which is highly unlikely) how can travel between the two planets be possible?

Thus, those that suggest noseall, JohnD and I are put on some spaceship and sent to this planet which we will never reach, are really suggesting "usthreeacide". Is that typical of their irresponsibility and murderous intent? :whistle:

;)

If my understanding of the expanding universe is correct.
It isn't.
So, according to those theories, this star/sun and planet are moving away from us at the speed of light.
It isn't.
Therefore, even if we could travel at the speed of light, we could only hope to 'manage/stabilise' the distance between us and this planet, and it will always be trillions of miles away. That would also hold true for anyone who was on that planet.
Until we can travel faster than the speed of light, or until the expanding universe slows down (which is highly unlikely) how can travel between the two planets be possible?
Wrong understanding leading to wrong conclusions and wild and highly inaccurate speculation. Par for the course for you worm tongue.

A bit of education for you giant brain.:rolleyes: If there are any stars or galaxies moving away from us at the speed of light we would never be able to see them. Because their light would never be able to reach us.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be hilarious if we made contact with alien beings and they turned out to be Muslims. That would be quite awkward i'd imagine, lol.

We'd have too make contact with them by carrier pigeon, they wouldn't have got round to inventing anything better yet.

If my understanding of the expanding universe is correct.
It isn't.
It isn't.
Wrong understanding leading to wrong conclusions and wild and highly inaccurate speculation. Par for the course for you worm tongue.

A bit of education for you giant brain.:rolleyes: If there are any stars or galaxies moving away from us at the speed of light we would never be able to see them. Because their light would never be able to reach us.

I was going to put that last line in for you before you edited the post, but then I thought why should I bother trying to educate ITMA when he can’t comprehend the dangers of Islam.

He should stick to mouthing his government propaganda and screaming "IST" at everyone who disagrees.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back