closing fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved to a property that has a fireplace in the lounge. When I have enough cash I would like to fit a nice gas fire until then I would like to close the opening temporarily, as its bloody cold and draughty and i'm fed up of heating the pigeons backsides. Any tips would be 'warmly'welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Maybe a solid foam polytene sheet type wedged into the top of the fireplace opening but make sure it not 100% air tight so it got some air flow to the chimney.

Thanks masona,

What is the purpose of the airflow (apart from letting me breathe). Is it a structural thing i.e. if there is no draw up the chimney the stack could become unstable.

No, mainly damp problem not drying out properly when rain get in from the top of the chimney,normally when fire is on the walls dried out.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice,

I will leave a small hole in the centre of my polystyrene sheet, when I fit it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back