Closing up an external doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is detched. The kitchen has an external doorway which leads to the side of the house. I want to brick up the doorway. Do I need planning permission to do this?
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Unlikely.

Even if you lived in a conservation area or your building was grade listed, the most you would be expected to do would be to match the exiting brickwork and 'toothing in' etc.

You do not require planning permission. As for Building Reg's, you're not forming a new opening or increasing an existing but you will be infilling the existing opening with materials to match existing and the infill is to comply with current u-value's.

Thank you for your advice noseall and DevilDamo.
The house is not a listed building.
It's about 14 years old and I'm hoping the builder will be able to get a good match of brick.
What is meant by u-values please DevilDamo?

Sponsored Links

D.D. is simply saying that you need to insulate the cavity or at least brick up the opening to a thermal standard no worse than the existing.

This will involve filling the cavity with insulation cavity batts, probably.

Don't forget tie wires either, or dpc. ;)

D.D. is simply saying that you need to insulate the cavity or at least brick up the opening to a thermal standard no worse than the existing.

This will involve filling the cavity with insulation cavity batts, probably.

Don't forget tie wires either, or dpc. ;)

A professional builder will be carrying out the work thanks noseall.
We'll be having another alteration done in the same kitchen. Removing a brick wall from between the kitchen and dining room and reducing the size of the kitchen window. My understanding of it now is that none of this requires planning permission but all of it requires some kind of building regulations guy to look at the job and say how it should be done and then sign it off and issue a certificate after the work is complete?

It's very unlikely any of those works will require planning permission but they may require Building Regulations. And as for your interpretation... it's you/the builder who tell the LA how you're proposing to carry out the compliant works and they will tell you whether or not it complies. They're able to offer advice and assistance but they will not tell you how to do it.

There are obviously Building Regulation fee's associated with these works.

Thank you for your advice DevilDamo and freddy.
It's much appreciated, trust me!

DevilDamo, who are the LA?

freddy, I am proposing to brick up an unused external door from the kitchen to the side of the house so that I can have a horse-shoe shaped kitchen. We have, in the last half hour decided not to reduce the size of the kitchen window. To get from the dining room to the kitchen we walk through a doorway. I wish to remove the door and the whole wall so that the dining room and kitchen are effectively all one room. That wall is made from bricks but the walls upstairs above it are not made from bricks. The means of egress from the kitchen/dining room after the alteration would be via the patio doors in the dining room.

Thanks again for your time and expertise.

Well there may not be a first floor wall resting on your ground floor wall but the floor joists may well be, so the wall may be structural. You'll have to see which way the floor joists are running to find out. If it is structural you will need Building Control Approval. It is possible they may be interested in the layout in respect of fire, hard to be 100% sure from your description tbh. Your stairs/hallway up to the first floor are separated from the living/dinning room/kitchen etc at ground level presumably?

By the way, stud partitions, although more unlikely, can still be structural.

The LA that Deveilledeggs is referring to means Local Authority.

Well there may not be a first floor wall resting on your ground floor wall but the floor joists may well be, so the wall may be structural. You'll have to see which way the floor joists are running to find out. If it is structural you will need Building Control Approval. It is possible they may be interested in the layout in respect of fire, hard to be 100% sure from your description tbh. Your stairs/hallway up to the first floor are separated from the living/dinning room/kitchen etc at ground level presumably?

By the way, stud partitions, although more unlikely, can still be structural.

The LA that Deveilledeggs is referring to means Local Authority.

Than you freddy.
Yes, the stairs and hall up to the first floor are seperated from the Dining Room/Kitchen and Living Room by walls/doors.
It's an almost square detched house and I know that the joists run inline with the wall I want to remove in the opposite half of the house. I'm guessing the joists should run in the same direction in both halves of the house? What is Building Control Approval (if I'm not pushing my luck)
Thanks again for your time.

If the first floor joists are running parallel with the ground floor wall(s), then you'll find the wall is non-load bearing, which means you would not have to submit a Building Regulation application.

And by the way... never assume. Assumptions are the mother of all f*ck ups. To confirm the walls you're removing are non-load bearing, you would have to expose the joists to see how and where they run.

Just to summarise Building Control/Regulations as I feel you're getting a little confused...

Building Control application - There are two different types of application (Building Notice, Full Plans)

Building Control approval - This is the term primarily used when submitting a Full Plans application, which would mean the Building Control department would check your drawings/details/specifications in accordance with the Building Regulations and will issue you with a formal approval. You do not receive an approval if submitting a Building Notice. It's merely a form along with some drawings/details that the Building Control department accept and proceed. Fee's are payable on both types of application and the BCO's (Building Control Officers) will also inspect the works regardless of the type of application you submit.

At the end of the job and if the Building Control department are satisfied you have complied with the Building Regulations, they will issue you with a Building Regulation completion certificate.

Thank you everyone for your help here.
I'm clearer about how to begin my project now.
I promise I won't assume.
It makes an ASS of U and ME
so I was told as an apprentice many years ago.

dilbert27327070060130.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back