Co ax fitting/distribution.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks - never realised this forum had an audio visual section :oops:

Just in the [long] process of dropping all my cabling around the house. I've laid all my Co Ax cable last week and had Quattro LNB fitted to the sat dish which then connects to Triax 5 in 12 out multi amp/switch.
I had a local installer fit the multi-amp and LNB (and climb on the roof for the freeview aerial), but I'll be completing the job (connecting Co ax cables to switch and face plate modules in the rooms).

I've laid 2 coax per room (per tv location) but probably have enough cable left to lay another to each point (3 in total) and possible four to the main Virgin cable infeed in case I want to place the virgin cable box in the hub (linking the virgin box to the cable in from the street). The third co ax point I may use for HD freesat boxes and possibly split for IR control (I believe you can purchase a splitter for this purpose?)

Couple of questions:

1: I've read that it's 'best practice' to place silicone grease on the f plugs entering the LNB outside (and inside - I'm using screw on types btw). I can't confirm whether the engineer did this (I forgot to ask) so is it possible (advisable) for me to place amalgamating tape around the LNB coax inputs, or squeeze some grease around the entry points (the LNB is one of the 'waterproof' triax models) - I can see braids of copper wire from below the LNB on the dish.

3: The Triax triplex faceplates I have (and I was shown how to wire one up via the engineer) mean I have to bend the cable at 180 degrees in order for the cable to return up the wall (the entry contacts are at the bottom of the module). Concerned I'm going to 'kink' the cable?
I want to avoid this (but can't really see a way around it):

SAT_TV3.jpg

I'm a little confused over the design really, I guess I could turn the plates 90 degrees on their side (they're most likely going to be hidden behind the TV (sunk in stud wall) anyway, rather than on show. I believe the cable I have (PF100) is less prone to 'kinking' than CT100?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Sam. I couldn't see a triplex version from the links (the slim and fast ones) but I've already taken delivery (and started to wire up) those Triax triplex modules:

http://cpc.farnell.com/triax/304264...ssellid=AP01542&crosssell=true&in_merch=true&

I find it a little odd that they're designed that way really. Is it so they're less inclined to be pulled out of their contacts?

Most (if not all) of these plates will be directly behind the TV's anyway (TV on wall brackets then 'sunk' into a stud wall) so will never really be seen apart from myself when connecting. Therefore I guess it would make no odds for me to place on the side or even upside down (via 35mm back box for that little more space).

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Sam. I couldn't see a triplex version from the links (the slim and fast ones)

Well, for the record, it says: "V33-13STR One threaded female 'F' connector + 2 x female sockets TV + RADIO triplexed (single cable) decombiner [SAT + TV + RAD]".

Anyway, it's academic since you have already answered your own question. You bought the plates already and you don't mind about the orientation.

Ok - yes, I've spotted it now, cheers.

I suppose I have answered my own question, but don't discredit your help - I wasn't entirely convinced laying the plate on the side (or even upside down) would be blessed by somebody in the know. You've also emphasised the importance of bending these cables too sharply (even the foam filled ones).

I could see how they'd work if entering a cavity wall (more room to loop the cable) but if a 'tight' situation, I'm not convinced by their design.

Many thanks Sam.

I think most people would see an "incorrectly" oriented plate as unprofessional. However, if the stupid design leaves you with no choice, what can you do?

Hide the blinking thing out of view :)

I was recommended the triax plates by a few people (they're on the satcure site too) but that design seems ridiculous given the care you need to give the cables. My OCD is probably kicking in a little too...I won't see them oriented ar*e upside their head, but I'll know they are... :confused:

Cheers Sam.

The design is clearly intended for cables coming up from under the floor or along hollow skirtings.

In that respect, they're a much more eloquent solution.

Perhaps I didn't do enough homework on these, but I placed the trust in my satellite engineer who dropped these off for me. Seeing as everything is terminated up in the loft from the rooms below a different module may have been more advisable (the one's you linked to for example).

Ho hum. It's clearly, as you say, academic and come to think of it, most of the modules will be sat in the [slight] cavity of a studded out wall which will give me a little more give.
I'll gauge it when I come to install them.

Many thanks.

A really deep back box helps as well - I tend to go "a bit OTT" on that, and some might think a 47mm deep box is excessive. It does make wiring things a lot easier though.

In a stud wall, use the space inside the stud for a relaxed cable loop and bring the cable in at the bottom.

Thanks - most of these tv points should be built into a part stud wall, so after all that 'faffing' I should be ok. Good point re the back box mind (newly acquired sds drill makes that far less of a chore).

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back