Coal-effect gas fire, flame height?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There have been a few threads on this subject, but I was wondering how high above the 'coals' the max flame should be in a gas simulated-coal fire. Also, is it OK for the flame to be substantially yellow?

Friend has had one installed (sorry no model) in which the flames touch the rear metal 'breast' of the fire, heating it to dull red hot. They have also marked the front glass slightly after only a week or so of use. The heat output is too high on the low setting, so I'm wondering if the flow is excessive on both. As the front glass doesn't seem to be airtight I'm also a little concerned about CO.

Was installed by a registered fitter, and she's had a gas-safe letter offering to do a free safety inspection if she has any doubts about the work. I think she should take that offer up.

I tried to persuade her to have a coaxial flue boiler but she liked the fire. At least she has a CO detector and it isn't showing any dangerous level as of now.

Any thoughts on this? She doesn't want to 'shop' the installer if the job is OK, but I'm just a little concerned about carbon monoxide.

Sponsored Links
I would of thought the "correct" "moral" thing to do was explain your concerns to the installer first,maybe you did.When he fitted the fire you should of received a certificate saying it had been fitted correctly.How did gas safe end up offering you a free check?
As far as the fire itself goes,there are numerous models out,with different flame pictures etc.How do you know the hear setting is too high?Many fires do not have glass at all,it's not as simple as if it has glass it needs to be air tight.

Yes, I think you are right that an approach to the installer first would be the diplomatic way to handle this.

AFAICS the free check offer is standard practice.

The heat output is too high because the fire has to be turned on and off to keep the temperature within an acceptable range, it cannot be regulated to an acceptable level even in this relatively cold weather.

Evidently she thought this fire would be safer because of the enclosed front. I wish she'd let me see it before buying, and I would have identified that it is not a sealed combustion unit.

When I'm next there I'll see if I can get some pics and a model number.

Though I'm concerned that a yellow flame impinging on a cooler surface is the usual way that CO is generated. That does not seem to be a good situation. In fact, certificate or no, I wouldn't tolerate a gas appliance in my home operating like that. And I'm a cowboy. :whistle:

have look at te instruction manual, and as the above poster said any concerns contact the installer first.

Though some fires are designed to give of a yellow flame picture as they a for decorative effect.

Sponsored Links
Many fires impinge on a surface as normal.
How big is the lounge? A lot of fires are "too hot" for a small room. A fire has to generate enough heat for the flue to function - across the entire range of approved flues. A remote or slide control fore will have a higher minimum level compared to a rotary knob which, because of the design, is able to be manipulated below a "safe" level. A fire running too low may not generate sufficient aeromotive force to overcome the resistance on a precast flue.
A glass fronted fire connected to an open flue is not room sealed. They are no more or less "dangerous" than an open fire - but significantly more efficient.
Pretty much all gas "coal" fires run with a yellow flame
The major drawback of any glass fronted fire is that they WILL discolor to one degree or another.

DP: If the installer has the notification cert delivered to the customer, an offer of being considered for a free inspection is standard. You do it necessarily have to have any safety concerns. The fact that he has registered it, an had the cert sent to your friend, suggests that he is confident in his work. But she has the right to check.

normally the flames should not impinge on the metalwork of a fire, coal position can effect the flames alot and the flue pull also.

If you see the FAQ on this site for how to gas rate an appliance, you will be able to do a simple test at the gas meter to see how much power it is using.

Then you can compare it with the maker's specifications.

Many are about 3 to 5 kW.

The position of the "coals" is all important and they should really only be arranged by the installer or servicing engineer.

Tony

If you see the FAQ on this site for how to gas rate an appliance, you will be able to do a simple test at the gas meter to see how much power it is using.

Then you can compare it with the maker's specifications.

Many are about 3 to 5 kW.

The position of the "coals" is all important and they should really only be arranged by the installer or servicing engineer.

Tony

Never seen a 3kw gas fire

So why are the instructions often in the users instructions?. The installer should explain the significance and explain/demonstrate use.

Perhaps so the user can visually confirm that they are satisfactory.

You might ask why Vaillant give the user the full service manual with the boiler.

Some would answer so they can remove the cover and replace the diverter valve when it leaks.

Tony

The USERS instructions normally contain instructions for cleaning and relaying the fuel bed. Vaillant et al provide engineer instructions in the installation and maintenance sections.

You're just being weird and difficult as usual, Tony.

What gas fire, apart from flueless, has a 3kw max. input?

Just noticed the comment about the flame impinging on Metal. Fires are normally lined with ceramic liners. What is the make/model

don't think maybe wrong I've seen a 3kw max fire , but could be corrected ( don't do flueless )

I think you are right.:)
It was, though, a question to Tony that will never be answered

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back