Coaxial to Scart/Hdmi adapter? help please....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so this is a strange situation. I have a second tv (in bedroom) wired up by RF2 output on back on my Sky box via a coaxial cable/magic eye etc in the normal way. My problem is the coaxial input on the back of my samsung TV is damaged inside (very poor signal) i have tested this by plugging in another tv and it works perfect, it also received poor quality on freeview all after tunning in, which confirm this.

So my question is does anyone know an adapter/converter that will take a coaxial input and conver it to a scart or hdmi output? So i can use a scart/hdmi socket in the back of the TV instead of the coaxial.

I see some converters round the other way - Scart to Coaxial but assume they cannot be unsed in the other direction as i require?

Please help....

Sponsored Links
A coax-to-scart is effectively a TV tuner in a box and will at best give mediocre results. You'd probably be better off investing in a replacement TV which would cost very little extra (if anything)

Whilst it is true that an external tuner box will probably not match the quality of a TVS own internal tuner, if there's no analogue option or the aerial socket is broken the for viewing Sky RF2 these are probably the most cost-effective solution.

If you're a dab hand with a soldering iron then certainly attempt a repair first. But that won't help in this particular case as there's no analogue tuner in the TV. Changing the set for one with an analogue tuner will cost a heck of a load more than the £55 for one of these boxes.

Any way you look at it, all other practical solutions will cost as much or most likely a fair bit more.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies!!

I hadnt even seen that box before (probabaly not looking hard enough). Although im not looking for high quality picture, i would like it to be at least simlar to the original RF2 coax style picture you normally get out of the back of the Sky box. so think i might look to invest in a new TV...

I'm ok with a soldering iron, so before i do i might see if that area is easy to take apart and have a look..

Appreciate all your help guys :D

I hadnt even seen that box before (probabaly not looking hard enough). Although im not looking for high quality picture, i would like it to be at least simlar to the original RF2 coax style picture you normally get out of the back of the Sky box
It would be similar. RF "quality" and mono audio, just as you get from the Sky RF output.

The "box" simply takes the place of the TV tuner and feeds the signal to the Scart external video input instead of the TV internal video circuit. There should be no discernible difference. But if a replacement TV is the cheaper option, taking into account all costs (time, transport, disposal, etc.) then go for it. (Be sure to buy a TV with an analogue tuner!)

I hadnt even seen that box before (probabaly not looking hard enough). Although im not looking for high quality picture, i would like it to be at least simlar to the original RF2 coax style picture you normally get out of the back of the Sky box
It would be similar. RF "quality" and mono audio, just as you get from the Sky RF output.

The "box" simply takes the place of the TV tuner and feeds the signal to the Scart external video input instead of the TV internal video circuit. There should be no discernible difference. But if a replacement TV is the cheaper option, taking into account all costs (time, transport, disposal, etc.) then go for it. (Be sure to buy a TV with an analogue tuner!)

Thanks for your advice! if its the same quality as the normal RF2 you get from the sky box im ok with that :D

The box you linked to above has now been replaced by this: http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/Triax_Unilink.htm

What i dont understand is what the two rotary switches are on the side? I was under the impression with this i am just changing the signal from Coax to Scart, why do i need to tune it in? I understand you have to tune the TV to receive the signal but why this box? Sorry if that is a dumb question :oops:

The RF2 signal is probably an "all channels" signal and you have to tune for the channel you want. The box then outputs the tuned channel.

I was under the impression with this i am just changing the signal from Coax to Scart
A scart cable carries a single audio/video signal*. A "RF" coax cable can carry multiple audio/video signals modulated onto different carrier frequencies.

Thats why when you connect a TV to a receiver over "RF" coax you have to tune the TV to the receiver but when you connect it over scart, hdmi, composite, s-video, component or vga you just select the input.

I understand you have to tune the TV to receive the signal but why this box?
Because the TV isn't doing the tuning, the box is.

* well strictly speaking it can carry one in each direction, but that is outside the scope of this post.

The RF2 signal is probably an "all channels" signal and you have to tune for the channel you want. The box then outputs the tuned channel.

In its basic form Sky box RF2 is a single analogue channel. The channel frequency is set in the Sky box hidden menu for RF2 Out. They use channel number rather than frequency in megahertz. So the RF Output can be any channel number from 21 to 68.

Whichever channel number (frequency) is set as the output, then the TV is tuned to the same frequency. That presumes of course that the TV has an analogue tuner. In the case of the OP then the TV doesn't, so an external tuner box fills that role and then converts the signal in to a simple video and audio (AV) signal. The TV sees that as a direct input which means it bypasses the internal tuner.

RF2 also acts as a Pass-thru for the digital signal our TVs now use for Freeview. Analogue and "digital" can Co-exist because they are essentially the same. The caveat is that the channels allocations shouldn't clash, so look at the channel numbers occupied by the digital muxes and then move Sky RF2 away from them.

It has been mentioned in previous threads on similar problems that the now generally obsolete VCRs (Video Cassette Recorders) generally had reasonably high quality RF to Scart analog TV receivers.

Being obsolete analog devices, fairly high end Home Theatre units with DVD and VCR playing and recording capabilities may still be available for almost next to nothing through Freecycle, Gumtree, Ebay, etc., and in Charity shops like the Heart Foundation and Salvation Army who may offer PAT tested appliances.

Even partially functional devices, i.e. with failed recording/playback components may still have normally functioning receivers that will take the RF2 input and output to the Scart socket, and may have superior audio outputs including 5+1 theatre surround sound modes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back