Code of lead for bay roof

FB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

My flat bay roof covering was recently changed to lead. I have just discovered that the builder used code 4, but everywhere I have looked suggests code 5 should be used.
Will code 4 be ok?

The roof is 2.5 x 1m max

Sponsored Links
Should really be code 5 minimum or ideally 6.

Expect it to split in about 15-20 years from movement of the lead expanding and contracting.

Hopefully he has done it in two sections or it could have even less of a lifespan!

• Thanks
Reactions: FB
I always use code 5 for such jobs.As stated if there is not an expantion joint in the middle of the roof then its a problem waiting to happen=It will get stress fractures for sure.No expantion joint will mean 5-10 year life span.

• Thanks
Reactions: FB
Thanks for the info. The sheet is one piece. I will discuss this with the builder.

Sponsored Links
Hmm.. I have just spoken to the builder who seems to think it will be ok because the roof is only a maximum of 1m wide. He took advice from the supplier.

Hmm.. I have just spoken to the builder who seems to think it will be ok because the roof is only a maximum of 1m wide. He took advice from the supplier.
He is talking rubbish,code 4 lead should be fitted in sections not exceeding 1.5m.Take 6 inch lead capp flashing?thats only 6 inch wide but that must be in sections not exceeding 1.5m.Have you paid the guy?if so do not,not until there is an expantion joint fitted.What you should be asking yourself is what sort of tradesman should be asking advice from his supplier?it is he thats supposed to be the professional not the guy selling the stuff at the building merchants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back