Cold Bottom of radiators down stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am after some advice.
I will try not to bore you with too much with the story behind this.
I had a conventional central heating system with boiler under the stairs, cylinder in airing cupboard and tanks in attic. I had a combi system installed a Worcester Bosch 30i by a local Worcester Bosch approved fitter.

This was installed in the airing cupboard after the removal of the cylinder.
I had an issue over Christmas where it was faulting on hotwater supply. I called out Worcester and they had to replace the heat exchanger. as it was blocker up which they said should never happen and that my system must be dirty. The system was never power flushed by the installer for what ever reason.

Ever since i can remember with this system it has been hard to get a comfortable temperature as it is always either baking hot or not warm enough. I have notice that the down stairs radiators bar 1 are hot at the top but cold at the bottom.

After speaking to a plumber i decided to do a flush on the system and run a cleaner through it.
I attempted to drain down the system last night and the 3 radiators that i have had issues with wont drain down whereas all the other do. When i have drained down the system in the past for maintenance/cleaning (before it was a combi system) i never had any issues with drain down.

The old boiler under the stairs had a supply and return water pipe and the gas supply pipe. When the boiler was removed from under the stairs the plumber looped the supply and return water pipes in the cupboard. I asked him if he could do this under the floor boards upstairs so that the cupboard would not have a pipe in it and also i could then remove the pipe boxing in the kitchen which was causing me an issue. I did offer to get the flooring up for him and everything but he didn't seem very enthusiastic about it so i suggested to him that i would do it myself at some point. He told me that i didn't have to put a loop in it just cap the end,which i did. but thinking about it now was that really the right thing to do wouldn't this just cause an air trap?

Sponsored Links
You seem to have chosen a very poor and unhelpful accredited Worcester installer. He is meant to have cleaned the system properly.

Worcester may well have suspended your warranty unless you have the system properly cleaned. It is not the manufacturer's dirt in the system.

I don't understand your system layout as I have not been there.

Whilst you can try to DIY clean it, it seems you are struggling and may need to call a professional to help.

You may need to do the bucket test, see FAQ, to confirm there are no blockages in the connecting pipes.

Then the system will need proper balancing, see FAQ again.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back