Cold feed & Vent pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just started my college course after being in the navy for 12 years so please dont drill into me, regarding the cold feed and vent pipe it has to be 150mm apart on the suction side of the pump what i dont understand is if its on the suction side wont the pump suck all the water out of the central heating f&e tank or what stops it from doing that.. no 2 ,why does the pump being on the return cause negative pressure. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
the pump suck all the water out of the central heating f&e tank or what stops it from doing that.. no

It doesn't happen because there is nowhere for any water sucked from the f&e tank to go. The pipes are already full of water so the pump cannot pump more water into them. All the pump can do is make the water in the pipes circulate round the pipes, radiators and boiler.

Just started my college course after being in the navy for 12 years so please dont drill into me, regarding the cold feed and vent pipe it has to be 150mm apart on the suction side of the pump what i dont understand is if its on the suction side wont the pump suck all the water out of the central heating f&e tank or what stops it from doing that.. no 2 ,why does the pump being on the return cause negative pressure. Many thanks

It's all about balance! The head of water in the F&E tank and the vent pipe is in equilibrium, with the level in the vent pipe fluctuating as heated system water expands and contracts when cooling. This balance allows the "circulating pump" to... circulate the system water. Over pumping occurs when this balance is lost due to restrictions in the circuit such as blockages.

Sponsored Links
So the water in the cold feed does not move,So why does the guage on the boiler move down when the pump starts?? Thank you

Last edited:
Your getting your systems mixed up, open vent boilers/systems dont have a gauge, sealed systems have a gauge that moves but that is the gauge reacting to the lowering of the pressure on the suction side of the pump.

The water level in the F&E cistern does move due to expansion of system volume up the copld feed. The level in the open vent rises because water always finds it's own level.

Can any of you guys give me a ring please have a few questions to ask dont mind even paying to come meet you to teach me, who wants to teach me willing to pay 3-4 hundred for the day

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back