Cold radiator - help undoing Danfoss TRV PLEASE??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In my flat since Christmas Eve realised that the living room radiator is cold. All others are fine.
Radiator has been bled and there was no air at all. After digging around on here, I suspect a stuck TRV. I'd like to try removing the outer part of it to "tap the pin" as I've been reading about, but I don't want to break it!

This is the TRV in question - I believe it to be a Danfoss RAS-C2

IMG_00171.jpg

How do I take it apart to get to the pin to "give it a wiggle" so to speak?!

Thanks for any help/advice at all.

Joe

Sponsored Links
Undo the large chromed nut at the base of the white plastic head. This will allow removal of the heat and will expose the pin. Tap the pin gently with a small hammer to release it.

First off,that is a pretty new Danfoss Ras C2 trv so I would be v.surprised if it's stuck down. The fact that there's no air/water? at the the bleed screw suggests your system pressure is low. If the rad was full of water the fact that the trv was stuck down wouldn't affect things anyway so long as the valve at the opposite end is open.
If you did want to take the trv head off you should know that this Danfoss TRV doesn't have a 'large chromed nut' as suggested by the other poster. It is the grey plastic section immediately above the body of the valve that you have to unscrew. Should be fingertight but if it was done up with grips you might have to undo it with grips.

Steady
Read the post (Re air/water) and look at the photo before making snide comments and looking foolish :D

Sponsored Links
Nothing snide about my comments- but there is no large chromed nut at the base of the head! I know this as I have fitted hundreds of 'em .

Perhaps it is you who are jumping to conclusions.

First off,that is a pretty new Danfoss Ras C2 trv so I would be v.surprised if it's stuck down. The fact that there's no air/water? at the the bleed screw suggests your system pressure is low. If the rad was full of water the fact that the trv was stuck down wouldn't affect things anyway so long as the valve at the opposite end is open.
If you did want to take the trv head off you should know that this Danfoss TRV doesn't have a 'large chromed nut' as suggested by the other poster. It is the grey plastic section immediately above the body of the valve that you have to unscrew. Should be fingertight but if it was done up with grips you might have to undo it with grips.

Thanks for the replys chaps.

Steady, there is water, but no air when bled. System pressure is a possibility. It is by no means a conventional system however. It's part of a biomass boiler heating system that heats 8 houses and a pool!

Thanks for the suggestion on removal. The grey plastic section is solid, even with grips. I'll get the landlord to get a plumber in to have a look. The last thing I want to do is break the valve off or something!!

eyyyyy there is no chrome nut....... its grey plastic ...and if moving the pin dont work ...try giving the valve a few taps from the side as this aslo frees the the pin !!

Hi,

In my flat since Christmas Eve realised that the living room radiator is cold. All others are fine.
Radiator has been bled and there was no air at all. After digging around on here, I suspect a stuck TRV. I'd like to try removing the outer part of it to "tap the pin" as I've been reading about, but I don't want to break it!

This is the TRV in question - I believe it to be a Danfoss RAS-C2

IMG_00171.jpg

How do I take it apart to get to the pin to "give it a wiggle" so to speak?!

Thanks for any help/advice at all.

Joe

there is a grey plastic part lets call it 1

above it on your pic is a white smooth plastic part lets call it 2

above that on your pic is a white plastic part with some air holes and and
a indicator ridge lets call it 3

above that is a dial you can turn lets call it 4

turn part 4 to fully opened, and unscrew part number 2 (viewed from your pic turn it away from the rad)

Glasgowgas
You are turning it wrongly. You should be turning the radiator to adjust the temperature :D

the grey bit pushes down and clamps onto valve body

it does this by screwing the white part immediately above the grey part, in the OPs pic you would turn the white part towards the rad to clamp on, and turn away from rad to clamp off

please lads its not up for discussion, its a trv that many of us have fitted thousands of times

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back