Cold Radiator issue - bleeding not the answer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i've looked at all the radiator issues on the site, but nothing quite covers the same problem i am having,

please bear with me as this is my first post.

i have 3 radiators upstairs, 2 downstairs. the nearest one to the boiler (GAS) is the bathroom however this is only warm at the bottom and cold at the top... bleeding i hear you cry, but there is no valve like the other 4 to do this... ?

the next closest is bedroom 1, this radiator heats up fine and is hot.. after i bled it.

the next is bedroom 2, this is stone cold. the pipes in and out are warm/hot however, i've tried bleeding this one also and there is no trapped air.

then there is 2 downstairs both of which heat up fine.

--

i have just moved in a week ago and am renting from an agency. but i would like to learn and fix the issue myself as when i come to having my own place. i know what to do..

any ideas etc?

many thanks

--- edit ---------

I'm starting to believe there is a blockage in one of the pipes. but the location of the two suspect rads, doesn't tie up. why would downstairs and one upstairs work and the nearest rad not, and one in middle in terms of closeness not work either.

I've tried balancing the system but no joy,

--- end edit --- thanks --------

Sponsored Links
hi yes all the radiators have trv, and i have the heating on for an hour and a half twice a day. with all the rads on full.

there is nothing behind the radiator that i can see,
with out the bleed valve. it's smaller than all the others too.

thanks for the response.

on the radiator in bedroom 2 remove the plastic top on the trv.
half way down under the plastic section is a knurled nut unscrew that and top will lift off, place a coin or pliers and push the brass pin down it should come back up ,do that a few times maybe jammed.
all rads have a bleed valve on the end or on the back top corners

Sponsored Links
thanks for that, i will investigate further, i must have missed it.

i will post here again tonight about 6pm, and let you know what i find!

thanks again.

hi, i've found the bleeding valve on the bathroom rad. but it's a smaller size then key i have, so i cannot do anything yet. i thought they were all standard. i don't have the diy tools to find something else i could use. any ideas?

with regards to bedroom 2, the trv i cannot remove, it's a white plastic dial on black plastic, i can pull it outwards away from the rad, and it rotates fully but i can't see how it's held on to remove it. any help?

hi,

it's a danfoss.

i can see a gold knurled ring underneath, but it's surrounded by this black plastic casing, so im not sure how to turn it.

thanks

if you can't get it off open up fully and tap the side of the valve with a pair of pliers etc

is it hot to the valve but not after the valve ?

no it's cold both sides of the trv, however it is very hot on the other side of the rad, well the pipe before the rad, this is set to open (parallel to the pipe!?) after i removed the cap, and where it joins to the radiator is hot but the bottom of the radiator is still cold, the top is very slightly warm.

from that im guess that sludge has blocked it and that's why it's not heating up.

yes?

Your trv is located on the return.
Just keep on persevering with the trv, the pin is stuck in the closed position. Do what the others have suggested to release it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back