Cold water storage tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I need to lower a cold water storage tank. Once moved it will be about the same level as the highest rad in the house. Will the rad still work properly and if not how can I do this? I can't raise the cold water tank higher and can't afford to install a new boiler.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Just to check - this cold water tank, is it one that holds about 4 gallons, and feeds the radiators, or is it one that holds a bathfull of water and feeds your cold taps?

Hi there

I'm pretty sure the taps etc are mains fed...the tank is about 2' square

Sponsored Links
OK, so it's the little F&E tank for the CH. Not all that heavy. Would you be able to stand it on brackets, high up the landing wall? If so, how much higher would the bottom of the cystern be than the top of (a) the highest rad (b) the top of the hot water cylinder?

it's in an attic bedroom....in a cupboard that's about head height and protruding into the room. By moving it into the eaves which are about 3 feet lower I can take out the cupboard and increase the size of the room by about 3 feet

John the water's heated direct from the boiler...if I move it to where I need to...the top of the tank would be about 12" lower than the top of the rad

Then it definitely won't work. The F&E cistern has to be higher than everything else, as it provides water into the rest of the system. Quite how much head of water you need is a different question, but it's got to be higher.

If you move it, you might get a bit more cupboard space, but at the expense of your CH system, or else a redesign and different kind of boiler. Doesn't seem worth it to me. You'll have to keep it up high.

_eed and _xpansion (of the water to and from the CH system)

Just a thought - you could get rid of the tank and replace it with a pressure vesssel which is much smaller and could go in a more suitable place. Can be complicated to do because you also have to fit a safety valve and drain.
I am a bit confused that you say the hot water is direct from the boiler. Can you describe the installation in more detail? I think you are going to need professional help if you go down this route.

Hi there

can someone help me again please? jsut to be really clear.
1. apart from changing the boiler (what to??) is there no way to have a header tank above the highest rad and
2. what are the signs of a faulty pump as two radiators downstairs are not working but the others are

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back