Cold water Supply - risk of freezing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter had a frozen pipe in her flat on Tuesday - still not sure where it froze and nothing burst - no leaks found as it thawed.

May have been above the boiler in the roof space - this is a new build that is three years old, first floor of two in a block of four flats.

Water supply runs up a void in the shared starwell with no access hatched
View media item 28902
From there it crosses the loft space in the insulation and runs down the wall to behind the sink. I guess that from there it runs in the wall/floor to the bathroom but not been able to trace it.

First question - Is this adequately insulated? The stairwell is not heated and the roofspace in the photo is above the stairwell (not ours). I pulled the pipe insulation off to check for splits but otherwise is as found.

Second question - the kitchen tap started running first with the boiler and the bathroom following about 30 minutes later - this tells me it was not the supply that was frozen (unless it was frozen in two places) but how likely is it that it froze in the internal wall. Heating is on morning and evening and flat is rarely below 17C - heated from flat below!!!

Third Question - Do John Guest Pipes split if they freeze?

Fourth Question - We have no way of isolating the pipe in the loft short of lifting a block paved inspection chamber in the car park which we could not see on Tueday as it is under 1" of ice. Is it reasonable to ask for an accessible stop tap to be fitted, may be the Mgt co's responsibility but would prefer to be able to limit the damage if the pipe is damaged. Flat is leasehold.

[/img]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back