Colour problem with banisters!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I have spent absolutely ages (well 3.5 months on and off) stripping the mahogany varnish from my stairway and banisters.
I finished sanding today and was delighted - the stairs looked great! The newell posts were a magnificent pine and the banisters were a more reddy wood but equally light.
After admiring the final sanding - I decided to apply white spirit to the wood. Now, the pine wood is fine - looks great - but the banisters have ended up going back to the original mahogany colour!
I havent varnished them yet - I planned to use Polyeurythane clear sating B&Q varnish.
Will the wood dry a light colour and then when varnished with clear varnish remain dark, or will it lighten again?
OR should I but a varnish (antique pine colour) and paint this on? Will this give me the desired look to match my antique pine flooring?
All help highly appreciated! :)
Nick

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back