1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Combi boiler diverter valve q!

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by frankparkins, 13 Apr 2011.

1. frankparkins

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello all, I have a query I'd like help with if I may please?

A lot of newer combi's use an electric motor on their diverter valves, where the motor when energised lifts the valve to h/w mode, often when a flow turbine first senses flow and via the pcb it activates the diverter valve.

When in heating mode, does the valve stay de-energised, or does it still get energised, to ensure it is in the correct position, before allowing the heating ignition sequence?

2. jackecole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Usually the motor only becomes activated when a hot water demand is made, by the flow switch. then the valve body inside via the motor moves and closes the heating port.

3. Agile

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think you are referring to the black motors.

They are a small induction motor with three connections and two limit switches.

They run for ONLY a few seconds when either of the outer connections is made live as far as the appropriate position. When its in position the limit switch opens and disconnects the motor.

Power is continually applied to the appropriate terminal of the motor according to the current boiler function. There is no feedback so the boiler does not know if its has successfully moved.

They virtually never fail by themselves. They usually fail as a result of water leaking into them and often blow the on board fuse.

Tony

4. frankparkins

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Cheers for replying guys. I have seen the black box type too, but was mainly on about the motor's such as the ones in the Vaillant ecotect range or the worcester cdi range. Just wondered how they worked in heating / hot water mode.