Combi boiler diverter valve q!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I have a query I'd like help with if I may please?

A lot of newer combi's use an electric motor on their diverter valves, where the motor when energised lifts the valve to h/w mode, often when a flow turbine first senses flow and via the pcb it activates the diverter valve.

When in heating mode, does the valve stay de-energised, or does it still get energised, to ensure it is in the correct position, before allowing the heating ignition sequence?

Sponsored Links
Usually the motor only becomes activated when a hot water demand is made, by the flow switch. then the valve body inside via the motor moves and closes the heating port.

I think you are referring to the black motors.

They are a small induction motor with three connections and two limit switches.

They run for ONLY a few seconds when either of the outer connections is made live as far as the appropriate position. When its in position the limit switch opens and disconnects the motor.

Power is continually applied to the appropriate terminal of the motor according to the current boiler function. There is no feedback so the boiler does not know if its has successfully moved.

They virtually never fail by themselves. They usually fail as a result of water leaking into them and often blow the on board fuse.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Cheers for replying guys. I have seen the black box type too, but was mainly on about the motor's such as the ones in the Vaillant ecotect range or the worcester cdi range. Just wondered how they worked in heating / hot water mode.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back