Combi Boiler Losing Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

About 2 months ago my combi boiler started losing pressure (to zero) when the central heating was switched off. A plumber came round and replaced the PRV and it was fine for a week or two and is now doing the same.

The pressure remains fine when the boiler is used for hot water only. When used for central heating I have to re-pressurise the system and the pressure rises further to 3.5+bar. It then falls quite quickly to zero when turned off. All the time the pipe outside the house (don't know correct term sorry?!) drips water regularly but not a great quantity. There are no visible leaks with the radiators.

I have 2 questions, 1) Is it likely the expansion vessel needs replacing and if so what sort of ballpark figure would this cost (with labour?) and 2) how urgent is it that this be fixed and will it do further damage to the boiler if i leave it a while (money is a bit tight after xmas)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You could try repressurising the expansion vessel yourself- you only need a footpump for this.

If it is beyond repair, then without knowing the boiler - make/model, it is hard to specify cost.

If you can not repressurise the internal expansion vessel on the boiler,then an after market external one can be fitted

CAll a local regsitered gas installer and hvae chat with them,the person who changed the PRV should have really checked the EP in the first place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back