Combi boiler recomendations - Glow worm swiftflow poorly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Please be gentle....first post :)

After a few months of intermittent noise the fan on my 17 year old Glow Worm Swiftflow has finally given up the ghost and the pilot light will no longer stay lit when the control knob is released. This is the first fault I've had with this boiler and I'm not sure whether replacements are still available...most people I've spoke to advise changing the boiler for a more efficient one.

Two boilers have been recommended by friends who've had them installed
Potterton Gold 33HE (£735)
Baxi MAIN 30HE eco (£660)

Which one is considered more reliable? any other suggestions for a reliable boiler within similar price range?

Many thanks, Phil

Sponsored Links
Intergas Combi Compact HRE

"Which combi boiler is best" is a weekly question on here, you'll get several different answers no doubt

The boilers you've listed are OK but have short warranties and can be comparatively noisy in use.

The Intergas 36/30 is well thought of. They only have 4 moving parts.
Potterton and Baxi do not have a good reputation. Avoid Ideal like the plague.

swiftflow fan is readily available. check which model you have 80 or 100 as both are different. sometimes the screws snap when changing but other than that theyre a doddle

Sponsored Links
Most importantly, find a good installer.

I would rather have a budget boiler installed well on a clean system than a poorly installed premium boiler.

I've fitted lots of ideal independents and logics without issue, same for Glow worm Flexicoms, both good value for money.

If you feel like spending more, look at Atag or Intergas, although a Vaillant or Worcester Bosch are prettier.

All boilers break down

Many thanks to those who replied.

Update.... I called a local gas safe engineer for a quote & advice. He was happy to install any of the above boilers but is busy until well after Christmas. He took out the fan from my existing boiler and removed a surprising amount of crud, then gave it a good soaking with some sort of lubricant/contact cleaner. The boiler is now working again but he has warned me that this is just a temporary repair.
For anyone still using one of these boilers (Glow Worm Swiftflow 100 circa 1996) fans are still available (thanks bingoBongo) for around £170 new, or £70 reconditioned.

I'm taking advice from the gas engineer and changing the boiler in the New year.

Thanks again, Phil

Why throw out a working boiler for the sake of a fan? Terry gives good advice. Choose the installer first and then go with their recommendation. But I would keep what you have got. A fan is a minor repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back