Combi Boiler Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to change my standard Glow worm ultimate 40FF boiler for a new combi boiler. This boiler is still working fine, but I'm looking to do a loft conversion in the future so need everything to be off mains pressure and lose my tank in the loft.

Can you recommend a good combi boiler for a 3 bed detached house with an additional loft conversion bedroom/shower room.

I'm quite interested in the new Vaillant ecoTec Plus 837 as they are not too expensive & seem suitable for my property.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm quite interested in the new Vaillant ecoTec Plus 837 as they are not too expensive & seem suitable for my property.

Thanks.

Why do you think thats suitable when any combi will only run just one outlet at a time?

Have you measured the dynamic mains water flow rate into the property to see if a combi is feasible?

Tony

Sponsored Links
The biggest combi boilers will only give about 13-14 li/min raised 35 C. When its cold thats more like 11 li/min.

Thats a fair flow for filing a bath and will run a nice shower.

But two showers only giving 6 li/min each will be disapointing! Dan above likes 13 li/min in his shower otherwise he does not find it stimulating!

Both the last two posters know all this and are just baiting me! They are probably at home drunk already as its a Friday evening!

So would it run two basins (outlets)? And why would the other two know better than me?

The boiler output can be devided between any number of outlets.

But few people will be happy with a below standard flow rate!

Sorry, the previous THREE posters then!

Lets be honest, even a 30kW will run 2 showers at a time that will get you wet enough to wash with water at about 40 degrees, uber showers are clearly not the priority here, space to convert the loft is.

Yes, a five li/min shower will get you wet!

But few people I go to in London would be happy with that. Perhaps in Scotland they prefer the economy of a low flow rate shower? I wonder what Dickie would have said?

In fact most I see here are not very happy with a 24 kW boiler running one shower!

Yes but there are other considerations and priorities when designing a system, otherwise everyone would get a mains booster and a 300 litre unvented tank, which could then be the standard reply when these questions are asked, which is clearly not what the OP has the space or need for.

The biggest combi boilers will only give about 13-14 li/min raised 35 C. When its cold thats more like 11 li/min.

But two showers only giving 6 li/min each will be disapointing! Dan above likes 13 li/min in his shower otherwise he does not find it stimulating!

Both the last two posters know all this and are just baiting me! They are probably at home drunk already as its a Friday evening!

worcester bosch

37cdi combi -15 lpm
42cdi -17 lpm
440cdi-20 lpm
550cdi-25 lpm

maybe you should give WB a punt tony..pretty impressive boilers !

bait you Agile :mrgreen: perish the thought
talk about pot calling the kettle

The combi storage boilers give impressive delivery rates.
My choice would be a the glow worm ultra power a cross between
tank and combi. Use it as a combi when only two in the house use it as a tank for high delivery rates and lots of people never run out of hot water.

Actually Tony, I was not baiting you. Although I can name several combi's, where, if installed as designed could easily do 2 outlets - not showers - simultaneously. Did you try to teach me forum etiquette the other evening by lecturing me on how thread replies should be a direct response to the OP?

No, I was "oh Godding" at the frequency of this question arising where the OP always thinks their situation is unique and so, the thousands of identical threads aren't worth reading. As well as the inevitably of the thread descending into something akin to where it has subsequently arrived.

Far from drunk though I am (takes a bit more than 3 bottles of carlsberg to affect me) - you have managed to annoy me with your comment. And it takes a lot for a friend to annoy me.

Get over yourself. 9/10 regulars here will no doubt agree.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back