combi flue making noise in the wind

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have just had a new combi fitted and the wind is blowing over the end of the flue and making a noise. The only thing I can liken it to is when you blow over the end of a bottle and it hums. This can be heard throughout the house as its quite a low hum and is keeping me awake at times.

it is a standard flue with a round straight cut end. It does seem to have a diffuser just inside the end but this isnt working very well!

Any suggestions welcome. The installer is looking into it but he has not heard of it happening before.

Thanks

Al

Sponsored Links
The installer is looking into it
hope it's not turned on

just couldn't resist
drunk-irish-048.gif

check the distances from fixed points would be a starting point

Sponsored Links
Still none the wiser I am afraid. I'm not a plumber so you will need to explain what you mean. Thanks.

Ok well the flue is located on our gable wall facing next doors wall and I would say that it is less than 2.5 metres from the property boundary. So I assume that it needs to be relocated anyway! Only option is out of the roof...

Ok well the flue is located on our gable wall facing next doors wall and I would say that it is less than 2.5 metres from the property boundary. So I assume that it needs to be relocated anyway! Only option is out of the roof...

hmmmmmmmmmm?, i'll have to think about that. ;)

How far does the OUTER part of the flue stick out from the wall ?

Its almost certainly possible to fit a plume diverter. It probably only needs an elbow or 45° elbow if available.

If its much within 2.5 m from the boundary that should have been considered and discussed with the installer.

It sounds as if its in a narrow passage between houses where the wind speed is accellerated.

Tony

Hi

It's difficult to say exactly how far the flue sticks out of the wall as it's quite high up, but I would estimate about 9 or 10 inches, ish.

Agile you are correct, it is located between two houses in a passage. As far as distance to boundary, I'm not sure, but I'm 6 foot and I wouldn't be able to lie down across it.

I'll look into plume diverters, and hopefully this might be a problem solver.

Thanks

Al

It sounds like a lazy installer!

Its normal to cut the flue off so that there is only about 30-60mm of white outer flue tube protruding.

Had he cut it to that length it would be further from the boundary and possibily would not make such a noise.

Wind is slowed by friction with stationary surfaces and will be slightly less by the wall, particularly if its rough like pebbledash.

Tony

To defend the installer here there is only the black vent part on the outside wall no white flue pipe at all. It was fitted well and properly I just need to see if there is a solution to the wind blowing over the end and making a noise. Would a vent end that is finished at an angle help, as the one on at the moment is a straight cut?

You will need the correct manufacturer's plume diverter part.

Possibly a 45° outlet.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back