Combi giving alternating hot/cold shower - usual reasons?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks
We've just moved into a completely refurbished bungalow. It's 3 beds, a little over 1000sq ft. A completely new heating system was installed, using a Worcester Greenstar 37CDi Combi. I can't pass comment on the CH system, but although the HW works fine at the taps it is impossible to control the temperature of the showers with the mixer valves, veering from hot to cold all the time.
Having searched through these forums for this issue, I have drawn the conclusion that it's unlikely to be a boiler fault on this brand new system, but could be one of the following:
1) Too much of a pressure mismatch between hot and cold at the shower mixer valve.
2) Not enough flow rate through showerhead causing boiler to constantly turn itself off and on.
3) Oversized boiler, resulting in it going constantly off and on same as (2)

The HW temp is currently set to 'e' on this boiler - which is the setting between 4 and 6. This may mean something to someone familiar with these boilers. I presume the 'e' means this is regarded as the most efficient temperature to set to.
Any comments or advice welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I thinbk that you will need a competent heating to come and help you.

But first try turning a tap on half flow as you run the shower.

Tony Glazier

Just an update on this - I've tried running the shower valve on max flow, and this does mostly stop the fluctuations - so this would indicate that with a slower flow the boiler is turning on and off all the time. But running the shower valve on full flow is not practical - the water blasts all over the place. (We have very high mains pressure here)
Anyone any ideas about this ?

Sponsored Links
Because temparature are warmer now, try and see if turning hot water dial on boiler down a little makes a difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back