Combi pressure too high - can it blow a push fit pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a valient boiler and it has a F22 code on it, which means dry fire. When we get this my missus normally opens the valve and puts more water in. Today that didn't work so tried to ring the installer. There was no answer so unknown to me she put more in.

The result is we have a lot of water coming through our ceiling. The water has seemed to stop now and i have turned of the electrics on the two upstairs circuits. I've managed to look in the eaves and the plasterboard is soaked.

We had a new central heating system put in about 5 years ago and under the floors it is all plastic pipes and push fittings. If the pressure gets so high can it cause one of the push fittings to fail or come apart?

Basically I'm wondering if I need to lift the carpets, all the 6mm ply, the floorboards and have a good look).

Also how long is it best to leave the electrics off for it to dry out - would a couple of days be enough?

Sponsored Links
0.2 bar and that is the same as before the water was added. The F22 fault says dry fire and it can be low pressure caused by a small leak or problem with pump.

The F22 is secondary concern now, just wondering if I need to lift the floor.

Rang our insurance and they said this is classed as an emergency and that falls under a different type of policy so I need to wait till office hours to speak to the claims dept. So I'm at a bit of a loss, can i take stuff up and then claim to get it put back in place.

Will ring the installers in the morning.

Push-fit fittings - fitted correctly - are well able to cope with mains pressure, and the mains is where you top up your boiler from.

Sponsored Links
yes push fit fittings if correctly installed would hold the pressure no problem but you may have one that hasnt been pushed home properly, if you add water does the pressure just drop immediately ? if so it sounds as though you may have dislodged a fitting if it holds at say 1.5 bar than it is another fault

If the pressure gets so high can it cause one of the push fittings to fail or come apart?
Only if faulty or incorrectly installed.

Basically I'm wondering if I need to lift the carpets, all the 6mm ply, the floorboards and have a good look).
There is a leak in there - so something will have to be opened up to locate and repair it.
However if the floor is ply etc. and the ceiling is already wet, it will be far easier to just remove a section of the ceiling - wet plasterboard will have to be replaced anyway.

Also how long is it best to leave the electrics off for it to dry out - would a couple of days be enough?
Perhaps - or not. Until the leak is repaired and it has dried out.

Lifted the toilet floor and bedroom floor and sodden underneath.

Found the guilty joint, the push fitting connecting a towel rail had totally come off.

Will need to call the guys who installed the boiler/central heating to look at the F22 fault so will ask them about the push fitting.

Looks like we will have a few days without heating, hot water and some electrics and then some decorating. And my missus is wondering why i am peeved at her!!!

Cheers for the advice - certainly more helpful than our insurers!

doubt it, can't see at the mo due to no light! Wouldn't claim against installers, they were good blokes. We'll just take on chin but might check the other towel rads that were chrome too!.

Was thinking of lifting that floor anyway to put some sound insulation in and some noggins for a stud to fit to that we were going to use sound proof party wall. Might as well do it now carpets and ply up!!

Cheers again for all advice.

Hi all,

"Without Prejudice"

If said fitting has been installed incorrectly, you may have a claim against the installer. As stated above, speedfit cannot be directly put onto chrome pipework, without first removing that section of chrome coating, as the steel grip ring can't attach/dhere to give a secure and stable fitting. All speedfit fittings and pipework if fitted correctly can withstand up to 10 Bar pressure (that is what it is tested at).

I commend you on not blaming the installer and allowing you to take the hit on your home insiurance and any future increases in your premiums..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back