combi/shower vs electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
combi/shower - vs electric shower ? anybody got any preferences?

im sick of our electric shower that spits and scalds us whenever anybody uses water when youre in it, the toilet , washer , hose whatever. as soon as water is used somewhere else in the house in goes crazy..not very relaxing.

will this still happen with a combi boiler, does it require a plumber to hook it up or can it be linked to the pipes off the bath?

any views appreiciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
if your electric shower is going cold when another tap is run then your mains pressure must just be on the limit so dropping below limit when another tap is run.

can be if your pressure is that low.
whats it like at running a bath hot/cold ?

Sponsored Links
I have never liked combi's. I was thinking of having one installed a year ago but they seem to be breaking down all the time according to what I have heard.

Also they are supposed to only be installed if their is sufficient pressure and flow rate in your home. So there shouldn't be a combi installed if you don't have sufficient pressure from your shower!

the pressure seems fine when running a bath but if another tap goes on be it hot or cold it does dip a bit. the fella who owned the house before me was a right bodger..god knows why or who installed the combi system.

You may find that an electric shower with a proper thermostatic control, not just an "anti-scald device" (which seem to take a robust view on what you can tolerate), will work better.

No one type of shower is without any drawbacks - if you can, have more than one type so that you are protected against power cuts, gas shortages, boiler failures etc.

You may find that an electric shower with a proper thermostatic control, not just an "anti-scald device" (which seem to take a robust view on what you can tolerate), will work better.

No one type of shower is without any drawbacks - if you can, have more than one type so that you are protected against power cuts, gas shortages, boiler failures etc.

Your talking such a big load of ******, should we all have 2 or 3 showers in our homes just in case ,oh and a waterheater in case lectric fails,and other systems, numpty.

Your talking such a big load of ****, should we all have 2 or 3 showers in our homes just in case ,oh and a waterheater in case lectric fails,and other systems, numpty.

That was a bit harsh! I think what Ban was getting at was that if you have MORE THAN ONE BATHROOM then you could try having a different type of shower in each.

To answer the OP. We have an 8.5kw electric shower. It was ok, but not very powerful. Anyway, it broke down and so for a few months we have been using one of those attachments that you slide over the bath taps (like you find in dodgy B&Bs!). In effect this is running off our combi boiler, and it is a lot more powerful.

We are in the process of having our bathroom refitted and have decided to have a thermostatic mixer shower running off the combi instead of having a more powerful electric shower installed. To get comparable power (and heat control), an electric shower would cost us more because of the upgrades in the wiring.

But I guess it's all down to personal preference really!

Your talking such a big load of ****, should we all have 2 or 3 showers in our homes just in case ,oh and a waterheater in case lectric fails,and other systems, numpty.

So people shouldn't have immersion heaters fitted into their hot water tanks either? numpty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back