Combined fused spur and socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I'm going to be running a fused spur, it will be taken from where there is currently a standard double socket. In the interests of efficiency (ie laziness), I am wondering if a combined fused spur and single socket unit is available that would fit in the same back-box as the current double socket. I've never seen such a thing, and I'm guessing I'll have to install a new box for the spur, but I just thought I'd ask!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
hibbo,
does the spur need to be fused?
how many sockets will you be running from it?
can you extend the circuit rater than spur?

The spur will be supplying a garden shed, that's why I want it to be fused (and switchable). I know the best plan would be to run it from an extra breaker at the CU, but I have decided to go with a spur from the kitchen.

It has to be flush mounted really, so for the work involved to fit the dual box I may as well just fit an extra single...

Thanks for the replies

Sponsored Links
How far away is the garden shed?

What will the load be in it?

What type and size of cable will you be using?

How will the cable be installed?

Is the circuit you're spurring from RCD protected?

What type of supply do you have?

Are there any extraneous-conductive-parts in the shed?

What tests will you carry out on the cable once installed?

MKK2737.JPG

Since it takes a 13a fuse surely it counts as a f/spur with sockets :D

I'd love to see you use one to supply a permanently connected cable on the load side of the fuse.... :D

How far away is the garden shed?

What will the load be in it?

What type and size of cable will you be using?

How will the cable be installed?

Is the circuit you're spurring from RCD protected?

What type of supply do you have?

Are there any extraneous-conductive-parts in the shed?

What tests will you carry out on the cable once installed?

There will be two 60w lamps, and a couple of sockets (which will have nothing more demanding than basic power-tools plugged in to them). A 13A supply will be plenty.

I am using 2.5mm^2 SWA cable, the run will be about 30m. It will be secured to a brick wall.

The house has a TNC-S supply, and has a 30mA RCD protecting the kitchen circuit from where the spur will be taken.

There are no extraneous-conductive parts in the shed (it's entirely wooden)

I will Meggar the complete spur before I connect it to the FCU, and after connection I'll do an earth-fault-loop impedance test from the shed.

Thanks for you concerns, does my plan sound safe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back