Combis in larger houses. Experiences please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post.... How exciting!

Background:

I am currently renovating (and heavily insulating) an astonishingly inefficient 1950 chalet style (lots of uninsulated internal sloped ceilings) house and reconfiguring pretty much every room and extending. I want to replace the boiler with something more efficient than the current Netaheat beasty and relocate it to the new utility room. I want rid of the airing (dust) cupboard to allow the increase in size of a bedroom and I am looking to locate the hot water tank in the utility also. The house will eventually be 4 bed with a family bathroom, and en suite, a downstairs WC, a utility room and a obviously a kitchen... So lots of potential points to draw hot water from. Combined with what will be 9-10 rooms to heat.

Question:

Do high output Combis work in larger homes? Lets say 40Kw+ I know there is talk of them struggling with demand but in reality how likely is everybody using taps at the same time or 2 showers running etc?

Does anyone have any real experience of this scenario?

Cheers guys

PS: Having looked through the 'projects' section I might have to stick my own up at some stage!

Sponsored Links
Personally
If you have the required mains flow rate and pressure, that is necessary for these high output combis, then I would go for an unvented cylinder and system boiler.

Graham

the mains water flow will dictate what you can have.

but if you are looking not to have an unvented tank then I would recommend a 56kw rinnai water heater. then for your heating you can get a heat only boiler that best matches you heating loads

First post.... How exciting!

Background:

I am currently renovating (and heavily insulating) an astonishingly inefficient 1950 chalet style (lots of uninsulated internal sloped ceilings) house and reconfiguring pretty much every room and extending. I want to replace the boiler with something more efficient than the current Netaheat beasty and relocate it to the new utility room. I want rid of the airing (dust) cupboard to allow the increase in size of a bedroom and I am looking to locate the hot water tank in the utility also. The house will eventually be 4 bed with a family bathroom, and en suite, a downstairs WC, a utility room and a obviously a kitchen... So lots of potential points to draw hot water from. Combined with what will be 9-10 rooms to heat.

Question:

Do high output Combis work in larger homes? Lets say 40Kw+ I know there is talk of them struggling with demand but in reality how likely is everybody using taps at the same time or 2 showers running etc?

Does anyone have any real experience of this scenario?

Cheers guys

PS: Having looked through the 'projects' section I might have to stick my own up at some stage!

Sounds like your rented, pay for it ,, tight arse?

Sponsored Links
Hi, as said it does depend on water pressure, I had a 32kw combi in a 5 bed semi with a bathrooom and ensuite shower room. There was two electric showers which ran on a pump from the cold water storage tank, so the only way the hot water was effected was when someone turned the kitchen sink cold or hot water on, or in one of the bathrooms.

In reality though we had medium pressure from the mains (was tested but can't remember the figure) and the only issue was the bathroom in the loft conversion the hot water sometimes only trickled out. But this was pretty rare.

New property has a 42kw combi and this also has the above but in addition a dowstairs cloakroom. Not had the same probs as all taps work all the time (yes sometimes at reduced pressure in times of demand) but the mains water pressure is better than the old place. Perhaps the key here is there are electirc showers with run of the cold storage tank opposed to relying on the combi.

Hope that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back