Combo Boiler issues

Sponsored Links
"The vent pipe is normally connected to the PRV by a compression joint with an olive."

When I have seen PRV on external pressure vessels the vent pipe is as you say connected bu standard 15mm compression connection. but on this boiler the PRV is screwed onto the end of large horizontal manifold .... it then has a vent pipe push fit into the side, and held by a push in 'U' clip
Because the pipe after about 30mm has a 90 degree elbow and then is routed to back of boiler a few more 90 degrees elbows (all end fee solder elbows) and out through the wall .. I cannot pull pipe out of the PRV.
I will have to put a hacksaw through it and then add a coupler when I come to reassemble ... no play in pipe to get it out of the fitting otherwise

Last edited:
OK ... pipe did vent into balloon .... so is this pretty likely to be faulty PRV ? .......... or is there a more likely cause of ovepressure ?

If it is likley faulty ... I'll get one tomorrow.

Rick, do not tell me you wasted a condom on the vent pipe

Sponsored Links
No ... corner cut off plastic bag :) ...... last time I bought them, they were 3 for a £1

Anybody changed a PRV on Ravenheat ...CSI 85 ..... this is the item ........

7ca68f378bfd174809dd2c8a00795424_zpsca5g8con.jpg

I thought it screwed into manifold ... looks like its is just a push fit (o ring seal), presumably with a grub screw or similar.

You've been advised before buy a new prv and that pro is not hard to remove just u clip it and replace .

Whatever you use, it may be necessary to use a rubber band to ensure it does not slip off.

Condoms used to carried in gentleman's wallets.

But thanks to the Post Office you can usually find a rubber band every few metres from a letter box.
Yeah they're the cock rings I use!

OK ... replaced the PRV 2 weeks ago and no pressure loss since .... so 'hopefully' that was the issue.
Have a seperate problem regarding heat out put - will open new thread.

You've been advised before buy a new prv and that pro is not hard to remove just u clip it and replace .

Nice it theory .. but as explained the vent pipe had an almost immediate 90 elbow ... and then off to wall .. no play in pipe to allow any movement of pipe to the right (to get it out of the PRV)

I finally resolved by undoing all pipe clips on teh wall ... allowed me to be able to move pipes forward about 20mm (no sideways movement) and that was enough to get PRV out of the manifold, and then rotate through 90 degrees and then I could slide PRV off pipe (rather than remove pipe from PRV)

Better to keep to this thread because we know your boiler model and its history.

Tony

OK ... no problem ... Part 2

I know the concept on balancing, based on having an index rad (usually furthest away) crank that lockshield & control head open, and close all other to 1/4 turn open - as a starting point.
Adjust index rad for temp differential and then work backwards through other rads doing the same.

Question is can you fit a Thermostatic rad valve on the index rad ?
There isn't one now .... but may fit one as changing the rad.

Just trying to get my sons first house running properly .... index rad takes an age to get warm, even with lockshields down to only 1/4 turn on all other rads .... it does get hot .. but only after all the others ... and as this is in the lounge - not ideal, can be 1/2 Hr or more before it gets hot.
(previous owner advised always been the case)
Variable head pump is on max speed - so can't increase flow rate ........

Flushed & put cleaner in last week - will flush & install inhibitor this week end....... and at same time change the index rad .... going to put in a 1.8m x 0.4m Stelrad Compact K2 2468W.

Currently a twin panel 2150 rad .. but no convector fins, so will put out a fair bit more heat .... and if I can get it balanced better - will put it out sooner.

Hence the Q ... can you fit a TRV to the index rad, if no issue I will do that at same time.

Will also fit reflective foam insulation to wall behind rad when fitting new one.

The whole concept of balancing is that its done with the lockshield valve with the other end open.

What is on the other end is not relevant during balancing as long as its open.

So you can fit a TRV anytime.

But its always best to recheck the balance after changing a rad.

Even a 1/4 turn on some valves is a lot of flow.

So try 1/8 turn if needed.

A tiny turn can make a big change to the flow rate.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back