Company wants to change my wage, what to say

bmx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just wondering what to do about the company i work for, they want to change my pay from day rate to price per job.

Basically i work for a boiler company, i go round the country making cabinets to cover the boilers and or pipework. Sometimes rebuild renew airing cupboards, various repairs.

They want to change it to £45 per job inc travel time, loading up time etc

Went to swansea yesterday 4 1/2 hours driving there 3 hours to fit a cupboard and 4 1/2 hours drive back. That would have been 12 hours for £45 !

What options have i got here

Sponsored Links
Presumably you are employed , rather than self employed?

Yes i am employed been with them for just under 2 years.

Just trying to locate the handbook and my contract at the moment

My other problem is up until wednesday i had a young lad with me. They laid him off on wednesday and now i struggle to screw the cabinets or sides of contiboard on my own. Had to ask a customer to help on wednesday.

Sponsored Links
what ever you do do NOT sign anything without advice or at least reading every single word

they can say things like you will get an extra days holiday if you sign this new contract omitting to tell you the negatives

Went to swansea yesterday 4 1/2 hours driving there 3 hours to fit a cupboard and 4 1/2 hours drive back. That would have been 12 hours for £45 !

What options have i got here[/quote]

This is always a difficult area, and "advice" is often wrong. You get responses which are based on old rules or based upon the authors views on what "should" be the case. I would merely point out that the above scenario would be illegal in that it is below the minimum wage. Now, I don't know if the employer can use the "swings and roundabouts" approach as justification, as long as your salary is above the legal minimum at the end of the month/week.

My advice would be t find one of the many legal type forums, where people who DO know may give you some pointers.

Very Good Luck. Let us know the outcome

From what I remember,a contract now does not mean a lot as it can
Be changed by giving you x amount of weeks notice,the usual thing is if you don't like it look else where.

what ever you do do NOT sign anything without advice or at least reading every single word

they can say things like you will get an extra days holiday if you sign this new contract omitting to tell you the negatives

This is the best advice you're going to get on a forum like this.
Don't sign anything.

We understand that you are an employee with two years service, and they are looking to change your working terms and conditions.
I don't know whether the Citizens Advice Bureau covers working conditions but may be worth starting with them. You could also consider talking to an employment lawyer. I know it sounds expensive but initial discussions are always free and they will take into account what you can afford to pay. The initial advice will be free.

My ill-informed opinion is that your employer is screwing you, so don't give in. You also have "constructive dismissal" on your side if you feel you need to leave.

As unemployment increases more and more firms are cutting back,

employing people on Zero Hours Contracts are getting very popular (it helps to reduce the unemployment figures but dosent really offer a job)
one is put on standby without a guaranteed minimum number of hours.

If you're going to quit, then it is still worth consulting a lawyer about "Constructive Dismissal", which is where a company makes your working life untenable so that you have to resign.

If you're going to quit, then it is still worth consulting a lawyer about "Constructive Dismissal", which is where a company makes your working life untenable so that you have to resign.

if resignation is in your thoughts

i dont know how it works now but in the past if you want to claim benefits you have a longer wait if you leave a job compared to getting "the sack"
but worth investigating if its an avenue you are thinking about??
https://www.gov.uk/browse/benefits

I made this today with my lie nielsons.
Which will hide boiler pipes on the left and provide access to the consumer unit through the solid oak raised panel doors.
Just needs a lick of varnish now and then off to do the fit up.

9fys.png

yep excellent job
i love the challenge making boxing in into something stylish
you have achieved that to perfection :D

Sponsored Links
Back