Comparative roofing costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning an extension with a south facing pitched roof.

Can anyone point me to a costs comparitor for different roof finishes?

Concrete tiles will match existing.
Copper (£!) will look fantastic
PV solar would be enough to grid connect.

OK, so I know that the last two will be more than concrete tiles, but how much more?

The roof will be about 14M2

Sponsored Links
Concrtete tiles approx £40-£50 per square metre (bearing in mind the comparative small size of the roof)

No idea about copper but lots more

PV, depends how you do it, if you use a flat concrete interlocking tiles such as a Sandtoftt Calderdale, Marley Modern or Redland Mini Stonewold you can use Solar Century tiles that course in with them, Marley sell their own as do Redlands (though with Redlands they have to be fitted by their partnered company Sundog), this will cost you a few thousand pounds on top of the above given rate, look into getting a grant for the work as this could save you about 30% of the cost of the PV's (though to do this you may need to use an approved company using an approved product, vist the Energy Savings Trust website for more info)

Coo! talk about a quick reply!

Thanks for the basic tile figure, now I have something to compare with.

The whole grant thing makes me feel somewhat frustrated. I'm in the middle of fitting solar water; and I found that sourcing the components myself, and then using a plumber to do the work, has cost less than I would have paid by going the approved contactor and grant route.

Also; it looks as if the Redland/Sundog route may not be that cost effective. Only supplying via one installer seems rather uncompetitive.

Sponsored Links
We found the solar grant exactly as you describe. The grant mysteriously adds on top of materials and labour and goes straight to the installer meaning the user receives no benefit.

If you do copper or any other expensive covering, be very security conscious of theft of material, particularly before they go on the roof. Even then with the scrap value, I would be a little concerned someone might strip the roof one night and leave you in a mess. Metal theft is a big problem here in Edinburgh.

Thieves everywhere, we had the slates that were stripped from our roof recycled by someone with a van in the middle of the night!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back