Complying With 'Part E' Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am struggling to find a definitive answer to this, as searches are mainly bringing up websites trying to flog their own products. This is a residential mid terrace house, that just me & the wife live in.

I have two areas where the BCO has told me I need sound insulation.

1. A new stud wall (with doorway) separating a new hallway passing though an existing bedroom.

2. Between the floor joists as the original ceiling (poorly skimmed plasterboard over plaster & lathe) has been torn down to be replaced by plasterboard & a good skim.

What is the most cost effective way of passing this?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Just add acoustic grade mineral wool to the voids. Minimum 25mm to the wall and 100mm to the floor.

Is there something particular I need to look for? The joists vary between 310mm and 340mm apart. Can I simply stuff precut 100mm deep 400mm 'loft insulation' rolls into the space?

Will it self support long enough for the plasters to board the ceiling, or will I need to staple gun some kind of netting under the joists?

Cut it slightly wider than 340mm and it will hold itself in place.

Sponsored Links
Not too sure really. Basically we had BCO around to sign off some RSJ's making the house more 'open plan' and ended up with a list of other bits we now seem to have to do. Means of escape windows, extra insulation on the new bathroom ceiling (which is also the roof for that part of the house) and this floor insulation thing. We are still only ground & first floor, so the MOE windows especially were a surprise!

He might of been only referring to the "new bit of ceiling" where the old stairs were before?

If, by making it more open-plan, you have made the means of escape situation worse than it was before, BC can insist on escape windows.

The other bits seem superfluous. Sometimes inspectors go looking for things to order you to upgrade when it doesn't strictly need it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back